Olympics visitors thrilled by China’s ancient printing techniqueAugust 29th, 2008 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Hangzhou (China), Aug 29 (Xinhua) Dongyuan, a mountainous small village in eastern China’s Zhejiang province, could never have expected the Beijing Olympics to bring so much for it.During the 17-day Beijing Games, tourists flocked to Dongyuan to see the age-old wooden movable-type printing technique since this village is the only one in China where people have been using the 800-year old technology.
“Before the Beijing Olympics, most visitors were either researchers or collectors of ancient books. After the opening ceremony of the Olympics, a lot more visitors, many of them students, came to take a look,” said Wei Xianzhu, staff of Dongyuan’s movable-type printing exhibition hall.
After the Aug 8 opening ceremony of the Games, many people called to get more information about the technology and the number of the visitors in the last ten days rose notably over the same period the whole of last year, she said.
At the opening ceremony of the Beijing Games, spectators and TV viewers around the world were thrilled by a four-minute performance showcasing the movable-type printing, with a formation of some 900 men imitating the operation of a printer and creating the image of the Chinese character “he” — meaning harmony and peace — in different calligraphic styles.
According to Wei, Dongyuan villagers use the technology to print their pedigrees.
She said the exhibition hall was keeping more than 40,000 wooden types of Chinese characters as well as 27 layouts.
The technique of making wooden movable-type and then using it to print has been passed down from generation to generation in this remote village, making this ancient craft a living example of China’s ancient civilization.
It has been listed as one of China’s national intangible cultural heritages.
Movable-type printing, along with papermaking, gunpowder and the compass, were the four best-known ancient inventions by Chinese people. In the West, the first printing press came into being in 1439.
- Acupuncture to feature on UNESCO cultural heritage list? - Nov 12, 2010
- Chinese director to stage opera for London Olympics - Mar 01, 2012
- Attitudes towards sex change in China - Jun 09, 2012
- Beijing Police may use drones during emergencies - May 13, 2011
- Chinese culture shines at dazzling Olympics opening ceremony - Aug 09, 2008
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympics helped Chinese give new thinking, says daily - Aug 13, 2012
- Sampras and Safin to play exhibition match in China - Sep 29, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic badminton: 'Super Dan' plays Lee again in the final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Lin Dan retains singles gold after fierce battle - Aug 05, 2012
- China-made fireworks to light up London Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- A China House for London Olympics - Jul 14, 2012