Olympics: Russia storms to canoe sprint double goldAugust 11th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian pair Yury Postrigay and Alexander Dyachenko blitzed the field for gold in the Olympic canoe sprint men’s kayak double event Saturday.
Postrigay and Dyachenko raced away to win the sprint by a huge three-quarter-length margin in 33.507 seconds.
Belarus claimed silver through Raman Piatrushenka and Vadzim Makhneu in 34.266, while British pair Liam Heath and Jon Schofield took bronze in 34.421.
The world champion French team finished fourth.
“It’s a really tough competition. We’ve trained hard. It’s the Olympics, and that’s how it goes,” said Postrigay.
Belarus’ Piatrushenka lamented the blustery conditions.
“The wind was head on. I went for it and I got a silver.”
British kayaker Heath also found the going tough.
“With a headwind like that, it adds a few seconds on. It doesn’t sound much but when you’re going at that pace it really drags out. But I’m so pleased.”
- Olympics: Hungarian duo wins Kayak gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: McKeever wins canoe gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's McKeever speeds to canoe gold (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Canoe sprint gold for New Zealand's Carrington - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Norway's Larsen takes Kayak sprint gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Women's four gives Hungary second Kayak gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic Kayak single gold for Hungary - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Weber, Dietze steer Germany to kayak double gold - Aug 09, 2012
- New Zealand's late dash brings rowing gold in sculls - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt leads Jamaica to record sprint relay gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: German eight hold off Britain for rowing gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Australia paddle to kayak four gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Ukrainian powers to men's canoe sprint gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: alexander, blustery conditions, double gold, french team, headwind, heath, kayaker, london, olympic canoe, olympics, pace, quarter length, ria novosti, russia, russian pair, schofield, sprint, storms, world champion