Olympics Preparation: Rs.3.57 crore spent on boxers, Rs.4.73 crore on weightlifters (Lead)February 2nd, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) The union sports ministry has so far spent Rs.3.57 crore on the training and foreign exposure of boxers and Rs.4.73 crore on weightlifters under the Operation Excellence for London Olympics 2012 (OPEX 2012) scheme.
Of the spent amount, Rs.2.48 crore was on conducting national coaching camps for training 58 boxers (40 men and 18 women), who were aided by 19 coaches (including one foreign coach) and seven supporting personnel. The remaining amount of Rs.1.09 crore was utilised on providing foreign exposure, according to a sports ministry release issued Thursday.
Four camps each were conducted for men and women pugilists of duration of 231 days and 178 days, respectively, till December 2011. The training began in March 2011, in order to optimise India’s chances to win multiple medals in the games. Also, international exposure was provided to 14 boxers (nine men and five women) in order to enhance their chances in the London Olympics.
Four boxers have booked their berth for the London Olympics. They are Devendro Singh (49 kg), Jai Bhagwan (60 kg), Manoj Kumar (64 kg) and Vikash Krishan (69 kg). Two qualification events for the Olympics still remain — one each for men and women boxers — and the Indian contingent is hopeful of securing more berths.
For the weightlifters a sum of Rs.2.78 crore was spent on conducting National Coaching Camps for training of 50 core probables (24 men and 26 women), the number that was later reduced to 26 (17 men and nine women), who were aided by six coaches and four supporting personnel.
Though no weightlifter had as yet qualified for the London Olympics, the Federation was confident that at least three would make it to the London games in the coming qualifying event to be held at Pyeongtaek, Korea April 22-30.
- Rs.3.57 crore spent on boxers' Olympics preparations - Feb 02, 2012
- Rs. 14.40 crore spent on shooters' Olympics preparations - Feb 01, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Sports ministry allocates Rs 258.39 crore for Olympics preparation - Jun 09, 2011
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Rs.4.63 crore spent on Olympic preparation for badminton - Jan 31, 2012
- Samota, Manpreet lead 10-member Indian team for Kazakh boxing meet - Feb 08, 2012
- CWG silver lining: Increased funding for Indian sport (Year after CWG) - Sep 29, 2011
- Pakistan to hold national boxing championships - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Indian boxers to return from world meet Tuesday - Oct 10, 2011
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Indians boxers asked to switch to aggressive mode - Apr 02, 2012
- Boxers reaching London early to get acclimatised and train - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: berth, berths, boxers, contingent, crore, feb 2, five women, international exposure, jai bhagwan, krishan, london games, london olympics 2012, manoj, ministry release, qualification events, rs 1, sports ministry, union sports, vikash, weightlifter