Olympics: North Korea’s Om wins gold with record liftJuly 30th, 2012 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) North Korea’s Om Yun Chol took men’s 56 kg weightlifting gold at the London Olympics Sunday after joining a small group of athletes who have lifted three times their own body weight.
The previously little-known Om lifted an Olympic record 168 kg in the clean and jerk, on the way to a total of 293 kg.
“How can any man possibly lift 168 kg? I believe the great Kim Jong-il looked over me,” Om said, referring to the North Korean leader who died in December.
“I am very happy and give thanks to our Great Leader for giving me the strength to lift this weight.”
Second place went to China’s Wu Jingbiao, who lifted 133 kg in the snatch, 8 kg more than Om, but collapsed as he tried the 161 kg in the clean and jerk that would have given him gold.
Wu took silver with a total of 289 kg, ahead of Azerbaijan’s Valentin Hristov, whose total of 286 kg was enough to win a duel for bronze with Vietnamese lifter Tran le Quoc Dien.
- Olympic weightlifting: Record-breaker Lu lifts gold - Aug 02, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Ukraine's Torokhtiy wins 105kg event - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- I'm closing in on world-beater Zhou: Russian weightlifter - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting: Indians fail to shine on opening day - Nov 13, 2010
- China's Wang finally lifts Olympic gold - Jul 29, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting: Sudhir finishes sixth in 77kg - Nov 16, 2010
- Weightlifting: Kazakh prodigy takes gold, world record - Jul 29, 2012
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012