Olympic tennis: Williams sisters win doubles goldAugust 5th, 2012 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Williams sisters, Serena and Venus, claimed their record fourth tennis gold in the Olympics as they overpowered Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka of the Czech Republic in the women’s doubles final here Sunday.
The American duo broke down spirited resistance from Hlavackova and Hradecka to win 6-4, 6-4.
The Williams sisters took the doubles gold at the Sydney and Beijing Games, missing the doubles competition in Athens due to Serena’s injury.
Saturday, Serena Williams thrashed Maria Sharapova of Russia 6-0, 6-1 to win the Olympic women’s singles gold, while Venus Williams won the singles in Sydney.
Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond of the United States face Russia’s Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova in the women’s doubles bronze medal match later Sunday.
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams stunned at success after Wimbledon - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams sets up final with Sharapova - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic tennis: US flag blows away at ceremony - Aug 05, 2012
- Errani-Vinci win French Open women's doubles final - Jun 09, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Federer, Azarenka retain top spot - Aug 06, 2012
- American duo Huber-Raymond wins US Open women's doubles - Sep 12, 2011
- Azarenka digs deep to beat Begu at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Azarenka takes tennis bronze for Belarus - Aug 04, 2012