Olympic shooting test event held in LondonApril 19th, 2012 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 19 (IANS) The shooting test event for the 2012 London Olympic Games is being held in the Royal Artillery Barracks range here, adding to the festive atmosphere as the capital city celebrates the 100-day countdown to the start of 2012 London Games.
According to ISSF, the international governing body of the sport of shooting, more than 800 shooters coming from 97 countries and regions have registered to participate in the event.
The number of athletes competing will be more than double than that at Games’ time, when 390 shooters will have a start on the lines of the Royal Artillery Barracks range, Xinhua reported.
“Testing the innovative venue, and refining their preparation in one of the last international shooting competitions before the Games, the best shooters of the world will participate in the event. Among them, almost all the world’s top-10 in their respective disciplines,” said ISSF on its website.
All the 15 ISSF Olympic shooting events, in the disciplines of rifle, pistol and shotgun shooting, will be conducted during the test event.
The Olympic venue, the Royal Artillery Barracks Shooting Range, is a central area of the London Games, just minutes away from the Olympic Village.
“Being in the heart of the Games, close to the Olympic Village, will give our athletes the best conditions to compete at their top level, and will make them happy,” said Peter Underhill, the shooting manager at the London Organising Committee Sports Department.
The test event officially kicked off Wednesday and will conclude next Saturday.
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- Top seed Martynov wins 50m rifle prone at Olympics test - Apr 25, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Vijay Kumar qualifies for final - Aug 03, 2012
- Narang's medal will inspire other Indian athletes: Maken - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Bindra gets India eighth quota place for the 2012 Games - Jun 18, 2011
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Sodhi, Bhagwan disappoint for India (Evening Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Olympics: Superb Saina first Indian shuttler in Olympics semis (India Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Gagan's father says more to come - Jul 30, 2012
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
- Eight Iraqi athletes to go to London - Jul 15, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: countdown, disciplines, festive atmosphere, international governing body, london games, london london, olympic games, olympic shooting events, olympic venue, olympic village, organising committee, peter underhill, pistol, royal artillery, shooters, shooting range, shotgun, sports department, test event, xinhua