Olympic medal winners receive tumultuous welcome at airportAugust 26th, 2008 - 2:36 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) Thousands of wildly cheering fans descended on the Indira Gandhi International Airport to give Olympic bronze medal winners, wrestler Sushil Kumar and boxer Vijender Singh, a tumultuous reception in the wee hours of Tuesday.In a welcome that Indian cricketers would envy, it appeared as if the entire Bapraula village of Najafgarh was there to receive their famous son Sushil Kumar. Not to be outdone, busloads of Vijender’s fans from Bhiwani district of Haryana joined the stream of people cramming the terminal.
After the rapturous welcome, supporters of both the medal winners burst crackers and danced to the beats of cymbals, drums and other percussion instruments.
Security arrangements went haywire as the fans arrived in cavalcades of cars, buses and trucks to take their heroes through a victorious drive down the city.
Arriving by the same flight were officials of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), including its president Suresh Kalmadi, secretary-general Randhir Singh along with members of the contingent who finished their events in the second week of the Games.
Officials of the sports ministry, Sports Authority of India and the IOA received the members of the contingent.
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Tumultuous welcome for Olympic heroes Sushil Kumar and Vijender Singh - Aug 26, 2008
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- President felicitates Olympic medal winners - Aug 18, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- After wrestlers, Mary Kom gets frenzied reception - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Randhir Singh opts out of next year's IOA election - Nov 08, 2011
- IOA to form Athletes Commission - Nov 22, 2011