Olympic medal winners receive tumultuous welcome at airportAugust 26th, 2008 - 2:36 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) Thousands of wildly cheering fans descended on the Indira Gandhi International Airport to give Olympic bronze medal winners, wrestler Sushil Kumar and boxer Vijender Singh, a tumultuous reception in the wee hours of Tuesday.In a welcome that Indian cricketers would envy, it appeared as if the entire Bapraula village of Najafgarh was there to receive their famous son Sushil Kumar. Not to be outdone, busloads of Vijender’s fans from Bhiwani district of Haryana joined the stream of people cramming the terminal.
After the rapturous welcome, supporters of both the medal winners burst crackers and danced to the beats of cymbals, drums and other percussion instruments.
Security arrangements went haywire as the fans arrived in cavalcades of cars, buses and trucks to take their heroes through a victorious drive down the city.
Arriving by the same flight were officials of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), including its president Suresh Kalmadi, secretary-general Randhir Singh along with members of the contingent who finished their events in the second week of the Games.
Officials of the sports ministry, Sports Authority of India and the IOA received the members of the contingent.
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Tumultuous welcome for Olympic heroes Sushil Kumar and Vijender Singh - Aug 26, 2008
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Randhir Singh opts out of next year's IOA election - Nov 08, 2011
- IOA to form Athletes Commission - Nov 22, 2011
- Malhotra hails Randhir's ANOC nomination - Apr 23, 2012
- 142 Indian contingent for London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics medal winners Sushil, Vijender return home - Aug 26, 2008
- IOA seeks report from AITA on team selection - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: bronze medal winners, indian cricketers, indian olympic association, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, olympic bronze medal, olympic medal winners, percussion instruments, randhir singh, tumultuous welcome