Olympic football: US avenge World Cup loss to JapanAugust 10th, 2012 - 5:36 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Two goals from midfielder Carli Lloyd propelled the US to Olympic gold in the women’s football tournament Thursday, sealing a 2-1 win over Japan in the final.
The victory was revenge for Japan’s victory on penalties in last year’s World Cup final between the two nations.
Lloyd put America 2-0 up inside 54 minutes, with Japan’s Yuki Ogimi pulling one back on 63 minutes. It took Lloyd’s tally to four for the tournament.
The final was played in front of a sell-out 80,000 crowd at London’s Wembley Stadium.
The 2000 Sydney Games aside, the US has won every gold medal since women’s football became an Olympic sport in 1996.
- Olympic taekwondo: Jade Jones seals gold for Britain - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russian Zaripova wins 3000m steeplechase gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Japan pips Russia to women's archery bronze - Jul 30, 2012
- Savinova tops in Diamond League 800m - Aug 27, 2012
- Olympic freestyle wrestling: Japan's Icho wins 3rd gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic football: Spain slump to shock defeat - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Gonzalez stuns Lee for gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic beach volleyball: Americans seal third straight gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Chinese Wu wins gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic football: Late strike gives Canada bronze - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Britain takes gold in women's team pursuit - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: america 2, carli lloyd, crowd, football tournament, gold medal, japan, london, medal since, olympic football, olympic gold, olympic sport, revenge, ria novosti, sydney games, tally, victory, wembley stadium, world cup loss, yuki