Olympic flag arrives in RioAugust 14th, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 14 (IANS) The Olympic flag has arrived here, marking the dawn of a new era in Rio de Janeiro’s history.
The flag landed on Brazilian soil for the first time Monday evening as the countdown towards the 2016 Games began.
“We are going to make Rio 2016 the Olympics that have the greatest legacy in history,” city mayor Eduardo Paes. Paes told a packed media conference at Tom Jobim International Aairport, reports Xinhua.
Paes waved the flag as he stepped off the plane to a standing ovation from a crowd of onlookers inside the international airport terminal.
He said the Games had provided the impetus for Rio’s revitalisation.
“I see the arrival of this Olympic flag as not the start but the consolidation of an important process of transformation for the city,” Paes said.
“Rio is a city that has spent too long looking toward the past. I’m sure that this process of transformation, this turning toward the future, has been consolidated here.”
The pure-silk Olympic flag will be temporarily displayed in the City Hall where it will be open for public viewing.
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics closing ceremony, a crazy mix of spicy music (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Britain offers help to Brazil for World Cup, Olympics - Aug 17, 2012
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
- Brazilian beach volleyball veteran eyes Rio Games - Aug 11, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- IOC, Brazil to draw up plan of action for Rio 2016 - Oct 31, 2009
- Brazil hope to end Olympic judo medal drought in London - May 02, 2012
- Nairobi planning to bid for the 2024 Olympics - Aug 09, 2012
- Chinese company to supply Olympics pin badges for 2016 Rio Games - Aug 05, 2012
- Toll in Brazil building collapse rises to 17 - Jan 28, 2012
- Two skyscrapers collapse in Brazil - Jan 26, 2012
- Rudy Giuliani to be security consultant for Rio Olympics - Dec 04, 2009
- Three die in Brazil blast - Oct 14, 2011
- 2016 Olympic committee denies lapses in relocation of residents - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: 2016 games, city hall, city mayor, countdown, dawn, eduardo paes, history city, impetus, international airport terminal, new era, olympic flag, olympics, onlookers, public viewing, rio de janeiro, rio rio, soil, standing ovation, tom jobim, xinhua