Olympic boxing: Shields pounds Russia’s Torlopova for goldAugust 10th, 2012 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS/RIA Novosti) America’s 17-year-old prodigy Claressa Shields took the inaugural Olympic gold in the women’s 75 kg boxing tournament here Thursday.
Shields pounded her Russian opponent and No.2 seed Nadezhda Torlopova, nearly twice her age at 33, to win by a score of 19 points to 12.
Shields produced a display of fiery aggression that trumped Torlopova’s guile, buzzing around the ring to land blows before the Russian could react.
The first round saw both fighters land useful combinations, the judges unable to separate them at 3-3.
Shields’ raw energy shone through in round two, as she threw twice as many punches as her opponent, including a big right to go 10-7 up.
Torlopova was lethargic, unable to cope with Shields’ more nimble movement, and was caught several times as Shields took a 15-10 lead into the final round.
Shields carried the momentum through to the bell to become the second-youngest Olympic boxing champion in history.
Torlopova moved down two weight classes to compete in London since winning gold at the World Championships in 2010.
Shields defeated bronze medallist Marina Volnova of Kazakhstan 29-15 in the semi-finals. Torlopova edged past Li Jinzi of China 12-10 in her semi-final.
Women’s boxing is making its debut in the Olympics this year. Bouts consist of four two-minute rounds, as opposed to the three three-minute rounds for the men.
- Olympic boxing: China, Kazakhstan women take bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Adams wins first women's gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Italy's Mangiacapre, Mongolia's Uranchimeg take bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Ogogo and Uzbekistan's Atoev win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Ireland's Taylor beats Russia's Ochigava to gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic bronze: Heavyweights Pulev and Mammadov win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Ukraine's Usyk slogs his way to gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Lightweight Lomachenko wins gold for Ukraine - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Colombia's Pajon flies to gold in women's BMX - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia defeat Bulgaria to reach final - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Williams destroys Sharapova to win gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Joshua wins super heavyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Light heavyweight gold for Russia's Mekhontsev - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: aggression, bouts, boxing champion, combinations, guile, kazakhstan, minute rounds, momentum, olympic boxing, olympic gold, olympics, opponent, prodigy, punches, raw energy, ria novosti, semi finals, several times, shields, world championships