Olympic boxing: Britain’s Joshua wins super heavyweight goldAugust 12th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Anthony Joshua of Britain won a thrilling super heavyweight (+91kg) final against Italy’s defending champion Roberto Cammarelle to take Olympic gold here at the ExCel Arena Sunday.
Joshua was awarded the win on countback after recovering a three-point deficit while going into the last round for an 18-18 final score.
The 22-year-old world silver medallist threw caution to the wind in round three, cornering his experienced opponent and landing a series of telling left-handers.
Joshua’s win takes Britain’s boxing gold haul to three after Nicola Adams (51kg) became the sport’s first female Olympic gold medallist and Luke Campbell won the bantamweight (56kg) title.
- Olympic boxing: Light heavyweight gold for Russia's Mekhontsev - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic freestyle wrestling: Japan's Icho wins 3rd gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Russia win rhythmic gymnastics gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Azerbaijan's Sharifov - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Ogogo and Uzbekistan's Atoev win bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Azerbaijan's Asgarov wins gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Shimizu and Alvarez claim bronze - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Djokovic thrashes Roddick at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic volleyball: Russia beats Britain - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Lightweight Lomachenko wins gold for Ukraine - Aug 12, 2012
- China's Wang finally lifts Olympic gold - Jul 29, 2012