Olympic athletics: Pearson powers to 100m hurdle goldAugust 8th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) World champion Sally Pearson powered to Olympic gold in the women’s 100m hurdles final Tuesday, setting a new Olympic record in the process.
The Australian exploded out of the blocks but had to fend off a late challenge from defending champion Dawn Harper of the US to clock 12.35 seconds.
Harper took the silver in 12.37, a lifetime best, with the bronze going to Kellie Wells, also of the United States, in 12.48.
There was drama after the finish as Pearson and Harper stared at the jumbo screen, neither sure of the result.
Pearson screamed with delight when her result flashed up, while Harper clapped in a show of sportsmanship.
“It’s a dream,” said Pearson, who trained in London for the final few months before the Games.
“Relief was the first thing I felt and then shock. I’m just going through the emotions. I really wanted this. I’ve worked so hard for two years. To see my name on the scoreboard, I just can’t believe it.”
Harper claimed to be happy to win a silver.
“There was so much pressure on me,” she said. “I’m just so happy to be here. I wanted to be here and I wanted to be a part of it.”
- Olympics Athletics: Sally Pearson fastest hurdler, reinstated Toufiq triumphs (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Franklin sinks world record to clinch 200m backstroke gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to triple jump gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Frenchman Tony Estanguet slaloms to canoe gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic fencing: South Korea's Kim earns sabre gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: US teen prodigy claims gold in 800m freestyle - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic canoe slalom: France's Fer paddles to kayak gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: German eight hold off Britain for rowing gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Hungarian Risztov wins gold in marathon - Aug 10, 2012
- Ethiopia's Dibaba retains 10,000m Olympic title - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic champion gymnast Kanaeva: I won't quit yet - Sep 13, 2012
- Olympic long jump : America's Reese wins women's gold - Aug 09, 2012
- France's Muffat grabs 400m freestyle gold - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 100m hurdles, clock, dawn, defending champion, emotions, games, hurdle, jumbo screen, lifetime, london, olympic gold, olympic record, ria novosti, sally pearson, scoreboard, shock, sportsmanship, world champion