Olympian Sushil Kumar asked to promote vegetarianismAugust 27th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has asked Olympics bronze medallist Sushil Kumar, a brawny wrestler who shuns meat, to be their brand ambassador for promoting vegetarianism through their advertisement campaigns.In a letter addressed to Kumar, who follows a strict vegetarian diet, Anuradha Sawhney, chief functionary, PETA said: “We would like to feature you in one of our vegetarian ads.”
“Our campaigns are known for featuring attention-getting images, and the muscularity you displayed in winning your victory would certainly attract attention - and make it clear that a vegetarian diet can lead to a body built for Olympian feats,” she said.
She added: “Your well-honed physique could also help young (and not-so-young) men understand that when it is time for a real workout, they should avoid meat if they want to achieve maximum performance.”
The letter, sent Tuesday, was also marked to Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi.
On being asked whether PETA has received any response to the letter, Sawhney told IANS: “We haven’t received any response yet. But people mostly agree to be a part of our campaigns and I am sure Sushil will do the same.”
Sawhney sounded sure of what PETA wanted in their ad campaign with Sushil. “There will be a lot of body showing and that is primarily because we want to send across a message that one can have his kind of muscles even with vegetarian food,” she said.
In the past, cricketer Anil Kumble has also supported PETA’s vegetarianism campaign.
Bollywood stars Amitabh Bachchan and Yana Gupta had won the title of “Asia’s sexiest vegetarians alive” through a poll conducted by PETA in June.
There will be yet another similar poll conducted by the organisation in October and Indian cricketers Parthiv Patel and S. Sreesanth will be a part of it.
- Postal stamp sought to honour India's vegetarian heritage - Sep 28, 2011
- Amrita Rao, a proud vegetarian - Jul 14, 2011
- Sonu Sood goes shirtless for PETA ad (With Image) - May 11, 2011
- Shahid voted Asia's sexiest vegetarian man - Jul 01, 2011
- Make Tihar Jail meat-free zone: PETA India - Nov 22, 2011
- Heading PETA India isn't just another job (Interview, With Image) - May 28, 2009
- PETA hails Backstreet Boys for turning vegetarian - May 24, 2011
- McCartney urges Manmohan to celebrate vegetarianism - Jan 05, 2011
- Kareena, Sreesanth voted PETA's sexiest vegetarians alive - Feb 16, 2009
- Dhanush, Mallika named hottest vegetarians - Jan 20, 2012
- Go vegetarian, it's healthier: Poorna - Jul 10, 2012
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- PETA launches sexy vegetarianism campaign in China - Nov 27, 2009
- Mccartney immortalised on PETA Stamp - Nov 29, 2011
- Memorial Day crock pot recipes - May 28, 2012