Old students gather in century old Kerala collegeApril 12th, 2008 - 6:42 pm ICT by admin
Kochi, April 12 (IANS) A top judge, a top minister, a film actor, a diplomat and many MPs and legislators rubbed shoulders with one another Saturday at a gathering of old students of Maharaja’s College here. Nearly 1,000 former students of the 149-year-old college in Kochi gathered to swap stories and reminiscence their college days.
The list of old students who came to their alma mater included Chief Justice of the Supreme Court K.G. Balakrishnan, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, state Finance Minister Thomas Isaac, Sebastian Paul, MP from Ernakulam, film actor Dileep and Indian Consul General in Dubai Venu Rajamani.
Inaugurating the daylong event, Balakrishnan, the country’s top judge, said his college days and the time spent here were the key turning point of his life.
Antony said he still cherishes the memory of his college life, especially time spent in the college hostel.
“The biggest advantage of the college was its secular nature and looking back, this has become one of the most successful training grounds, which have produced several luminaries,” said Antony.
In a lighter vein, Isaac recalled his days as one where there was no moral police in the college.
“Those who wanted to study could study and those who did not want to could happily spend their time in the college. And those who wanted to engage in romance also found it to be an ideal place,” said Isaac.
Senior Congress leader P.T. Thomas said he was lucky to find his better half from the college.
“Union minister Vayalar Ravi was the most popular student during his time and he also found his life partner here. Both of us married outside our religion,” said Thomas.
- Old friends, old memories at Panjab University's alumni meet - Feb 21, 2011
- Times have changed for K.G. Balakrishnan (Letter from Kerala) - Jan 11, 2011
- Recorded message first, Nepal PM to follow - Oct 07, 2011
- Bilawal Bhutto 'secretly' studying law in Britain - Jul 06, 2012
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- 9-year-old Arizonian Boy Accumulates $2.85 For Gabrielle Giffords' Healing By Selling His Toys - Jan 21, 2011
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Nepal's strong Chandigarh connections - Aug 30, 2011
- Former army chief revisits his Kashmir roots - May 12, 2012
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- 22.214.171.124.11.11.11 - a unique alumni reunion! - Nov 10, 2011
- CPI-M student leader quits ahead of Kerala polls - Mar 24, 2011
- Kerala seeks new dam, protests erupt against Tamil Nadu - Nov 28, 2011
- Army generals join college assembly, inspire students - Sep 07, 2010
- Nepal President recounts association with Kolkata - Jan 28, 2011