Oil sector employees to go ahead with their strike (Lead)January 6th, 2009 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) Oil sector employees will go ahead with their strike as planned from Wednesday despite oil companies moving to initiate legal action against agitating officers, the Oil Sector Officers Association (OSOA) said here Tuesday.”The strike is going ahead from tomorrow (Wednesday) starting at 0600 hours,” OSOA president Amit Kumar told reporters here.
OSOA, representing around 45,000 employees in 14 public sector oil firms, has called the indefinite strike demanding higher wages.
According to OSOA, its members do not believe the government is sincere about increasing their pay scales.
Reacting to the strike threat, the petroleum ministry has asked the states to invoke the stringent Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) or the National Security Act (NSA) to tackle work stoppage.
“The Assam government has already invoked the ESMA, while other state governments have said they are in the process of doing so,” petroleum secretary R.S. Pandey told reporters Monday.
“It was a sad day to know that technocrats who had given them blood and sweat to run the country’s economy will be persecuted,” OSOA’s Kumar said reacting to Pandey’s statement.
- Oil sector employees to go ahead with strike despite court ban (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2009
- Essential services act advocated to tackle oil sector strike (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009
- Court restrains oil companies' employees from striking work - Jan 06, 2009
- Essential services Act advocated to tackle oil sector strike - Jan 05, 2009
- Aviation fuel supply will not be hit by oil staff strike - Jan 06, 2009
- Orissa to use essential services act to tackle oil sector strike - Jan 08, 2009
- Telangana employees gearing up for indefinite strike - Aug 07, 2011
- Oil sector employees to go ahead with strike - Jan 06, 2009
- Telangana employees determined to strike - Jul 21, 2011
- After government pressure, oil strike called off (Intro Roundup) - Jan 09, 2009
- Day two: Petrol pumps go dry, talks fail (Roundup) - Jan 08, 2009
- Nationwide trade union strike begins, to hit key sectors - Feb 28, 2012
- FAQs on the oil strike - Jan 09, 2009
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- Telangana employees launch protest for separate state - Aug 09, 2011