Oil sector employees go on strikeJanuary 7th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) A majority of employees of oil firms stayed away from work at processing plants and refineries across the country Wednesday following a strike call given by their union.The 45,000-strong oil sector officers association, covering 14 organisations, had called for a strike from 6 a.m. Wednesday over pay revision packages.
According to a senior Indian Oil (IOC) official, all IOC refineries have been impacted to various degrees. “Our workers and officers above deputy general manger levels have not gone on strike,” he said.
The official said most aviation stations have been working, especially in metropolitan cities, with no impact on international flights yet.
Meanwhile, an official at Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) said its gas processing plants at Uran and Hazira have been affected. “There has been no shift change which usually occurs at 8 a.m., so nobody has reported to work,” he said.
GAIL has also been impacted by the indefinite strike, with reports that supplies of natural gas had stopped at Hazira.
The consumers will only start feeling the pinch once the retail outlets complete the sale of their present stock, which is expected to last about five to seven days.
The petroleum ministry is going to take stock of the strike situation Wednesday afternoon, with a meeting chaired by Petroleum Secretary R.S. Pandey.
The ministry had indicated Tuesday evening that it expected the impact to be only in three refineries of IOC and Oil India, but the strike seems to be more widespread than expected.
The ministry had said that it would turn to private refiners, Essar and Reliance, if there was any shortfall in petroleum products reaching the market.
- Oil sector strike starts, refineries closed (Lead) - Jan 07, 2009
- Gas supplies disrupted, industrial consumers hit by oil sector strike (Roundup) - Jan 07, 2009
- Northeast facing acute cooking gas shortage - Sep 14, 2012
- Northeastern India hit by cooking gas crisis - May 26, 2012
- FAQs on the oil strike - Jan 09, 2009
- India asks Saudi Arabia to hike crude oil supply - Feb 23, 2012
- India holds bilateral talks with Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Canada - Nov 03, 2010
- ONGC-led consortium to invest $3 billion in Venezuela - Jul 11, 2012
- Essar Oil in pact with IGL for NCR CNG retailing - Mar 09, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- Government may call in army to tackle oil strike (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2009
- Long queues for fuel as petrol pumps run out of stocks (Intro roundup) - Jan 09, 2009
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts - May 28, 2012
- India seeks shale gas supplies from US - May 16, 2012