Officials fined Rs.44 lakh for denying information under RTIAugust 11th, 2011 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) A sum of Rs.44.23 lakh was recovered as penalty from central public information officers in the last four years for failing to provide information under the Right to Information (RTI), the Rajya Sabha was informed Thursday.
“A sum of Rs.2,21,56,363 was collected as fees from RTI applicants by central public authorities over the period from 2007-08 to 2010-11 while over Rs.44 lakh was recovered as penalty,” Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V. Narayanasamy said in a written reply.
The Central Information Commission may impose a penalty if a public information officer, without any reasonable cause, refuses to accept an application or does not furnish information within specified time or mala fide denies information or gives incorrect, incomplete or misleading information.
The minister said that according to the information available with the Central Information Commission, 18,32,181 applications were filed before the central public authorities during 2007-08 to 2010-11.
Out of these, information was supplied in 17,33,620 cases.
Information about applications received and disposed of by public authorities of state governments is not centrally maintained, he said.
- RTI requests pile up - Dec 14, 2011
- Rent dues notice to Meira Kumar withdrawn - May 08, 2012
- DDA ordered to pay Rs.3,000 damages to RTI applicant - May 30, 2012
- Delhi's 'despicable' neglect of schools for deaf - Jan 16, 2010
- 'Information commissioners cause loss of Rs. 86 crores' - Jan 14, 2011
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- ED investigating money laundering in IPL, says Pranab - May 21, 2012
- Bihar official demands huge amount for information under RTI - Dec 03, 2009
- More transparency can bring down RTI pleas: Apex court - Aug 16, 2011
- Will strive to make RTI more effective, accessible: New CIC - Oct 10, 2010
- Delhi slammed for delayed information, fined Rs.50,0000 - Aug 23, 2010
- Activist raises query on Sachin's penalty - May 05, 2012
- Don't allow RTI misuse: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- NGO moves apex court against curtailed RTI access, high fee - May 16, 2012
Tags: information commission, lakh, minister of state, New Delhi, pensions, public authorities, public grievances, public information officer, public information officers, rajya sabha, reply, rs 2, rti, state governments