Official, six policemen injured in Rajasthan communal clashFebruary 26th, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Udaipur, Feb 26 (IANS) An official and six policemen were injured in a communal clash in this Rajasthan district Sunday, police said.
The situation remained tense as police twice baton-charged a crowd of people from two communities clashing with each other.
According to police, the incident took place in Mavli town in Udaipur district, some 400 km fromJaipur.
“A minor tiff took place between a mobile shop owner and two youths, who were participating in a function of a particular community at a nearby school,” said a police officer.
However, the situation exacerbated as supporters of some shopkeepers from another community gathered there and a minor clash between the two groups took place.
“Most of the people who were participating in the function had left by that time. So the shopkeepers’ supporters started pelting stones at police and people from another community. A senior administrative officer and six policemen were injured in the stone pelting,” said the officer.
He added that police then carried out baton-charges.
“Two police cases have been registered and at least 25 people have been detained,” said the officer.
Police have deployed heavy police force in the area to maintain law and order.
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- Protesters attack Bharti Walmart store in Rajasthan - Dec 01, 2011
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Ten students held for stoning Rajasthan BJP leader's house - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Bharat Bandh' passes off peacefully in Rajasthan (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- 15 students injured in Bangladesh clash - Mar 03, 2012
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- Rajasthan town remains tense after clash, curfew on - Aug 17, 2012
- Clash in capital, 15 arrested - May 17, 2011
- 11 injured in Kolkata violence - Nov 07, 2011
- Communal clash during Janmashtami function, eight injured - Sep 02, 2010
- Entire police station staff shifted after baton-charge - Sep 16, 2011
- 13 people injured in police-protester clashes in Kashmir - May 10, 2010
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012