Office boy who robbed bank arrestedJune 19th, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 19 (IANS) An office boy suspected of robbing valuables worth Rs.6 million from a bank in Gujarat’s Mehsana district has been arrested, the police said Thursday. The theft took place Saturday night at Becharji Nagrik Sahakari Bank, a co-operative bank, in the temple town of Becharji, about 90 km from here.
The bank’s office boy, Hardik Darji, was arrested from Ahmedabad Wednesday night following a tip-off.
Darji had broken open 14 lockers Saturday night and decamped with valuables worth Rs.6 million.
His involvement in the theft came to light when the bank opened Monday morning. Bank manager, Natubhai Haribhai Patel, found that 14 lockers, including those of the Becharji temple trust, were broken open and valuables stolen.
Darji was missing since the day of the theft.
A police official said that the ornaments of Goddess Becharji were found untouched, lying in the broken locker. “It seems the culprit fearing the wrath of the goddess had changed his mind at the last moment,” a police official said.
“It was the first case of this kind in the temple town of Becharji,” said Patel soon after the incident.
Raju Bhargav, Mehsana district superintendent of police, formed four teams to trace Darji.
On Sunday, the police rounded up Darji’s brother and his friends for questioning. Darji was nabbed from Ahmedabad Wednesday night.
- Thieves decamp with bank's CCTV camera - Sep 19, 2010
- Newly recruited servent drugs employer, decamps with jewellery - Jan 29, 2011
- West Delhi area rocked by four robberies in 90 minutes - Jan 10, 2011
- Gold worth Rs.1 crore robbed from Andhra Bank - May 12, 2010
- Woman accuses SBI officers of stealing jewellery from locker - May 10, 2011
- Rs.5 crore-worth assets seized from Madhya Pradesh sub-engineer - Dec 15, 2011
- Temple town with doorless homes gets a bank with no lock - Jan 10, 2011
- Sun god idol desecrated in Jharkhand - Jul 07, 2010
- Delhi's burglars make hay while summer vacation shines - Jun 14, 2011
- Indian family still clueless about progress in apartment burglary case in Dubai - Feb 10, 2011
- Gujarat cop gets life term - Sep 10, 2010
- Krishna idol stolen from Ranchi temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Hindu temple burgled in Dhaka - Feb 03, 2011
- Strike in Jharkhand over idol theft, Muslims lend support (Lead) - Jul 09, 2010
- Flat of ex-poll official's son burgled - Jan 15, 2012