Odisha tightens security ahead of R-DayJanuary 25th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 25 (IANS) Security was beefed up across Odisha Wednesday ahead of the Republic Day, with authorities wary of a retaliatory strike by Maoists after the recent arrest of one of their top leaders.
Although collectors of all the 30 districts of the state have been told to step up vigil, officials in Maoist-hit districts have been told to remain extra cautious, a police officer told IANS.
The rebels are active in more than half the districts of the state.
Maoists have already circulated posters and banners in their strongholds appealing to people to boycott the Republic Day celebrations Thursday and observe it as a black day.
Dhiren Mahato alias Mahru alias Girish was nabbed Tuesday from a village in Bargarh district, over 350 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
Mahato was the second in command of the state unit of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
In Bhubaneswar, vehicles are being checked at all the city’s entry and exit points. Owners of hotels and lodgings have been told to inform police if they spot any suspicious person.
- Security up as India readies for 63rd R'Day (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held - Jan 24, 2012
- Security up in Chhattisgarh as Maoists to boycott R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Orissa Maoist leader arrested with arms - Mar 05, 2011
- Kishanji's killing triggers security alert in Odisha - Nov 25, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits road services in Jharkhand - Mar 13, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Odisha yet to decide on fresh demands (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha yet to decide on fresh demands - Apr 09, 2012
- Wife demands relief for Odisha Maoist leader - Aug 13, 2012
- States on high alert after Kishanji killing (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Police unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Jul 18, 2012
- Kishenji eliminated in Didi's regime - an irony? (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 27, 2011
- Odisha hostages: Maoists yet to respond to swap offer - Apr 06, 2012
- BSF trooper killed in Odisha mine blast (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: alias, authorities, bhubaneswar, celebrations, communist party of india, CPI, exit points, girish, lodgings, maoist, maoists, odisha, police officer, posters, rebels, republic day, retaliatory strike, strongholds, suspicious person, vigil