Odisha minister’s effigies burnt over exam results leak (Lead)June 28th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 28 (IANS) The effigies of Odisha School and Mass Education Minister Pratap Jena were burnt by students and activists Thursday, protesting the leak of state board Class 10 examination results several hours before they were declared.
While members of the opposition Congress, the Bharatiya Janata Party and Left parties staged separate protest demonstrations in the state capital Bhubaneswar, activists of the All India Democratic Students Organisation (AIDSO) set fire to an effigy of the minister at Cuttack, about 26 km from here.
The minister’s effigies were also burnt by activists in the state capital.
The state Board of Secondary Education (BSE) was scheduled to declare the results at 9 a.m Thursday.
The names of the top 110 students were, however, found posted on social networking site Facebook Wednesday night, hours before the results were to be declared.
The posting was found to be correct when the results were announced Thursday morning, causing embarrassment for the board as well as the government.
“It was not leaked. The results were stolen. A probe would be conducted,” board president Satyakam Mishra told media persons.
The minister said he had asked the board to investigate and submit a report.
“Appropriate steps would be taken in the matter,” Jena told media persons.
- Odisha Class 10 board exam results posted on FB before declaration - Jun 28, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Congress workers in Orissa burn Sudarshan effigy - Nov 12, 2010
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
- Odisha traders down shutters against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Trade union strike: Normal life hit in Odisha - Feb 28, 2012
- Congress' youth, students wings call strike in Tripura - Jul 11, 2012
- Odisha protests over petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Assam pressure group protests against education board - Apr 07, 2012
- Odisha protests neglect in railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha - May 31, 2012
- Hooch kills 26 in Odisha, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, board of secondary education, board president, bse, cuttack, education minister, effigy, embarrassment, exam results, examination results, jena, left parties, mass education, media persons, mishra, opposition congress, pratap, protest demonstrations, social networking site, thursday morning