Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief’s sackingFebruary 19th, 2012 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 18 (IANS) Social and political activists Saturday staged a demonstration demanding dismissal of state women panel chairperson Jyoti Panigrahi for ruling out rape in her report on an alleged gang rape victim.
The activists, comprising members of opposition parties and members of civil society and women’s organisations, demonstrated near the official residence of Governor M.C.Bhandare.
“Though the National Women Commission have come out with a report confirming rape of the victim and highlighted the negligence of police and the doctors, Panigrahi had released a report saying that she did not find any evidence of rape,” said Prasanta Patnaik of Odisha Gana Samaja, which organized the protest.
“She (Panigrahi) only put the blame on the doctors while giving a clean chit to police who had played mysterious roles in suppressing the crime,” Patnaik told IANS.
The protestors also submitted a memorandum to the governor. “We also urged the governor to take disciplinary action against a senior police officer as he too played a mysterious role, he said.
The 19-year-old victim has been in a state of coma after she was allegedly gang raped Nov 28 by some people near her village Arjunagoda in Puri district, barely 10 km from the state capital.
The woman is under going treatment at Sriram Chandra Bhanja (SCB) Medical college hospital at Cuttack. Her condition continued to be critical.
The alleged gang rape has created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign on Jan 19 after the opposition and the girl’s family alleged he was protecting her attackers.
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Protests over Odisha women panel's report on gang rape - Feb 07, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Women panel seeks action against doctors - Feb 03, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, alleged gang rape, chandra, clean chit, gang rape victim, jyoti, medical college hospital, mysterious role, national women, opposition parties, panel chief, political activists, political storm, pradeep, protestors, samaja, scb medical college, sriram, state women, women commission