Odisha court orders boy to clean hospital area for theftApril 28th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 28 (IANS) A court in Odisha has ordered a boy to clean the outdoor of a hospital for six months as he was found guilty in a theft case, a government lawyer said Saturday.
Namita Das, chief judcial magistrate at Bhadrak, about 140 km from here, awarded this punishment to the 17-year-old boy (name withheld) after holding him guilty Friday of stealing about Rs.20,000 from the house of a villager in August last year.
“The court awarded this punishment so that he could correct himself because it was his first crime,” lawyer Jatikanta Nayak told IANS.
Khudiram Sahu, a resident of Randia village on the outskirts of the district headquarters town of Bhadrak, had lodged a police complaint that Rs.51,000 were stolen from his house August 6, 2011.
Police arrested two minor boys after recovering from their houses Rs.20,000 and Rs.12,000 respectively. The court, however, acquitted teh other boy for lack of conclusive evidence.
“The court ordered him to clean the hospital outdoor complex for six months from May 1,” the lawyer said. “This is for the first time in the state that a court has given a judgment like this,” he added.
Citing the judgment, the lawyer said the boy would have to report to the chief district medical officer at Bhadrak who will supervise his work and submit a periodic report to the court on the implementation of the court order. “The boy has to clean the floor of the hospital outdoor complex every day,” he said.
Earlier, the Odisha High Court in September last year had granted bail to a 19-year-old youth accused of misbehaving with a young girl at a marriage function in the state on the condition that he would polish the shoes of devotees at a temple for three months.
- Ex-army officer gets life term for killing Chennai boy (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Government vehicles' auction put on hold - Mar 03, 2011
- Cop's front-rolls: No contempt case against official (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Cop's front-rolls: No contempt case against official (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Setback for Ghai in land allocation row (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- No kidding: Child labour rampant around Delhi courts - Oct 08, 2011
- Court awards death penalty to eight in triple murder - Nov 16, 2011
- Court notice to Delhi Police on cop's front-rolls (Second lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Two convicted for murdering judo coach (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Impeachment motion a 'foregone conclusion', writes Justice Sen - Sep 02, 2011
- Noida land scandal: Ex-official gets four-year jail (Third Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Orissa cop's two guards jailed for his murder - Mar 29, 2011
- Chaos in Colombo court after ex-army chief gets new jail term - Nov 19, 2011
- 10 Russians found guilty of terrorism - Apr 13, 2012
- Bangalore cabbie gets life term for Pratibha's rape-murder (Evening Lead) - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,