Odisha court acquits Maoist leader’s wifeApril 10th, 2012 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 10 (IANS) A fast track court in Odisha Tuesday acquitted a top Maoist leader’s wife in a 2003 shootout case for lack of evidence, sources said. Her release was sought by the rebels in exchange for an Italian who has been held captive by them since last month.
The fast track court at Gunpur in Rayagada district acquitted Subhashree Das, wife of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, who was behind last month’s abduction of two Italians, one of whom was later released.
Subhashree was accused of involvement in the exchange of fire between Maoists and police in Kutingaguda area of the district in 2003.
Subhashree, also known as Mili, is one of several prisoners whose freedom was sought by Maoists in exchange for the release of the Italian tour operator Bosusco Paolo, in the custody of the rebels since March 14.
There was no official word on whether the state government facilitated her release.
Her husband Sabyasachi Panda is the organising secretary of the Odisha unit of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist), the group that kidnapped the Italian from Kandhamal district.
- Maoist leader's wife freed from jail (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Maoist leader's wife freed, Odisha hostage crisis continues (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Maoists release second Italian (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still missing (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still held (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- Fulfil promises before Italian's release: Maoists (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoist's wife, 26 others to be freed - Apr 05, 2012
- For Italian's release, fulfil promise: Maoists - Apr 11, 2012
- Odisha begins dialogue to secure release of Italians - Mar 22, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoist's wife, 26 others to be freed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Italian hostages: India hopes for positive outcome - Mar 21, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Maoists refuse to release Italian (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Threat to my husband's life: Maoist leader's wife - Aug 12, 2012
- Maoists set Thursday deadline for abducted Odisha legislator - Apr 03, 2012
- Maoist leader warns Odisha of 'consequences' - May 21, 2012