Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attackAugust 12th, 2012 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 12 (IANS) A police officer was killed and four others were injured after a mob attacked them in a village in Odisha’s Sundergarh district where they had gone to arrest a man, police said Sunday.
The incident occurred at Dudukabahal village Saturday night when the police team was attempting to return after apprehending a man wanted in an assault case, a senior district police official told IANS.
A mob of about 70 villagers, including several women, allegedly attacked the seven-member police team and damaged their jeep and did not allow the police to take away the man against whom an arrest warrant was pending.
While five policemen managed to escape some of them with injuries, the irate residents tied assistant sub-inspector of police Nabin Patel and the driver to the seats of the jeep and forcibly pushed it to the nearby Badjori watershed.
While the driver managed to untie himself and swam back to safety, Patel was recovered dead from the water body during a search Sunday.
The jeep was also retrieved from the water. Police have detained six villagers for questioning, the official said. The district headquarters of Sundergarh is about 400 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
- Maoists held for abduction, murder - Jun 14, 2012
- Driver burnt alive by angry mob in Bihar - Apr 26, 2012
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- 25 endangered turtles seized in Odisha, one held - Dec 16, 2011
- Village headman held for helping Maoists - Jan 28, 2011
- Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha - Jul 08, 2012
- Photos of suspects in Odisha violence released - Sep 13, 2012
- Maoists kill 'police informer' - Jun 26, 2012
- One killed as train hits jeep in Odisha - Nov 08, 2011
- Attack on woman cop during Odisha rally triggers outrage - Sep 07, 2012
- Suspected Maoists kill villager in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Maoist shot dead in Odisha - Jul 09, 2012
- Odisha minister injured in attack, one held - Jan 31, 2012
- Five arrested with brown sugar in Odisha - Jul 05, 2012