Odisha begins dialogue to secure release of ItaliansMarch 22nd, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 22 (IANS) The Odisha government Thursday began a dialogue with two interlocutors named by Maoists to secure the safe release of two Italians who have been held hostage by the rebels since March 14.
The meeting was taking place between the interlocutors B.D. Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty and three senior officials named by the state government at the state guest house here, a senior state official told IANS.
Meanwhile, Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda said his men were ready to release one of the hostages if the state accepts two of their demands before the start of negotiation.
In a telephonic message to selected media outlets, the rebel leader urged the government to release five ultras, including his wife Subhashree Panda, in exchange for one of the Italians.
The leader, who also calls himself ‘Sunil’, said he wants action against police and security personnel responsible for staged killings and rape in the state.
The Italians Bosusco Paolo, 54, and Claudio Colangelo, 61, were abducted from the border of Ganjam and communally sensitive Kandhamal district.
The rebels want the government to fulfil a charter of 13 demands including a ban on the visit of tourists to the tribal areas, halt on anti-Maoist operations, and release of several prisoners.
- Maoists reiterate demands to release Italian (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still missing (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Maoists release one abducted Italian (Second Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Talks for release of Italians remain inconclusive (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Odisha Maoists yet to respond to mediators' appeal - Apr 02, 2012
- Hope of Italian's release brighten after mediators' appeal - Mar 31, 2012
- Maoists release one abducted Italian (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- Abduction crisis: Maoists name interlocutors, extends deadline (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2012
- Maoist leader warns Odisha of 'consequences' - May 21, 2012
- Maoists offer swap, no interlocutor for talks (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Abduction crisis deepens, interlocutor refuses to mediate - Mar 20, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Maoists refuse to release Italian (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still held (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- Italian hostages: India positive amid deadlock (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Italian hostages crisis: Rebel leader's presence issue resolved, say officials (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: abducted, claudio colangelo, ganjam, guest house, hostage, hostages, interlocutors, italians, killings, maoist, maoists, media outlets, mohanty, rebel leader, rebels, sabyasachi, security personnel, senior officials, tribal areas, ultras