Odisha assault victim’s kin seek CBI probeMarch 11th, 2012 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 11 (IANS) The brother of a woman assaulted in Odisha Sunday dismissed a police report that ruled out rape and demanded a CBI probe.
Reacting to the chargesheet filed Saturday by police in a court against two people in the alleged gangrape in Puri district Nov 28, 2011, the victim’s brother said he was not satisfied with the probe.
“The case should be handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI),” he told reporters.
The 19-year-old woman, who slipped into comma after being assaulted by some people near her village Arjunagoda, is currently undergoing treatment at Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack, 26 km from here.
Her condition continued to be critical although all her vital organs were functioning normally and her blood pressure, too, was normal.
The incident had created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition parties and the victim’s family alleged that he had protected her attackers.
The incident is being investigated by police and a one-man judicial commission headed by a retired high court judge.
Police in their charge sheet said they had examined a large number of people, including witnesses, experts and doctors, but did not find any evidence to substantiate the allegation of rape.
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- Opposition rejects charge sheet on 'Odisha gang rape' - Mar 12, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, allegation, assault victim, bhubaneswar, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, chandra, court judge, gangrape, judicial commission, medical college, moral grounds, opposition parties, police report, political storm, pradeep, puri district, sriram, undergoing treatment, vital organs