Occupying Wall Street will topple capitalism: Iranian leaderOctober 13th, 2011 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Oct 13 (IANS/AKI) Demonstrations against Wall Street will “topple Western capitalism”, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Wednesday.
“The anti Wall Street protests are very important and their significance is being minimised by American authorities and media, but the people at this point are able to see the corruption of the capitalist system,” said Iran’s highest authority during a televised speech in Kermashah in the country’s west.
Khamenei, 72, referred to the Occupy Wall Street activists’ motto “We are the 99 percent” by criticising the US-led military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.
“The one percent (who are ruling America) launched the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the remaining 99 percent have to suffer the deaths and pay for it,” he said.
Occupy Wall Street demonstrations began in early September in New York’s financial district in Lower Manhattan and have since spread to other American cities. Protesters contend that the US government is coddling the wealthy at the expense of the majority of the population.
Critics like New York mayor Michael Bloomberg contend the protesters are costing the city money and jobs, while others have called them unpatriotic.
- Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei praises unrest in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 05, 2011
- New York mayor warns protesters to stay away from banks - Oct 08, 2011
- Obama, New Yorkers back Occupy Wall Street - Oct 18, 2011
- Masters degree must for Iran's lawmakers - Apr 29, 2011
- Occupy protesters take to streets across US - Nov 18, 2011
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- 'Occupy Wall Street' growing bigger by the day (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- New York won't tolerate Wall Street violence: Mayor - Nov 06, 2011
- Occupy protesters evicted from New York park - Nov 15, 2011
- `Occupiers' get advice from Bill Clinton - Nov 08, 2011
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Iranians to form human chain around nuclear site - Nov 14, 2011
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Boxing legend Ali asks Iran to release American hikers - Mar 17, 2011
- Scores arrested across US in 'Occupy Wall Street' protests - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: ali khamenei, american authorities, american cities, ayatollah ali khamenei, capitalist system, city money, iranian leader, lower manhattan, mayor michael bloomberg, michael bloomberg, military campaigns, new york mayor, new york mayor michael bloomberg, september in new york, street demonstrations, street protests, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, western capitalism, york mayor michael bloomberg