Obese girls show greater poise when happy with their shapeApril 30th, 2012 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 30 (IANS) Young women who may be obese but are happy with their size or shape show greater levels of self-possession, which offsets any ridicule they are likely to face.
The study led by Kerri Boutelle, associate professor of psychiatry and paediatrics, University of California-San Diego School of Medicine, surveyed a group of 103 overweight adolescents between 2004 and 2006.
Researchers assessed body satisfaction, weight-control behaviour, importance placed on thinness, self-esteem and symptoms of anxiety and depression, among other factors, the the Journal of Adolescent Health reports.
“We found that girls with high body satisfaction had a lower likelihood of unhealthy weight-control behaviours like fasting, skipping meals or vomiting,” said Boutelle, according to a California-San Diego statement.
Boutelle said the positive relationship shown in this study between a girl’s happiness with her body and her behavioural and psychological well-being suggests that improving body satisfaction could be a key component of interventions for overweight youth.
“A focus on enhancing self-image while providing motivation and skills to engage in effect weight-control behaviours may help protect young girls from feelings of depression, anxiety or anger sometimes association with being overweight,” said Boutelle.
- Parents can help overweight kid with body image - Apr 26, 2010
- Obesity tied to depression in teen girls - May 25, 2010
- Parents can motivate kids into shedding weight - Mar 15, 2012
- Obesity in teen girls likely to lead to depression - May 26, 2010
- Shedding pounds won't help teens' self-esteem - Mar 23, 2012
- Facebook's girl users prone to eating disorders - Feb 08, 2011
- Good lifestyle habits should be taught even before 13 yrs of age - Dec 31, 2010
- Kids' self-control linked to lower weight - Aug 16, 2012
- Teen girls look to peers when deciding how much weight to lose - Mar 18, 2010
- Successful weight control strategies for teens identified - Dec 02, 2009
- Parent-only treatment may be equally effective for childhood obesity - Oct 22, 2010
- Beware - eating disorders might hasten death - Jul 14, 2011
- Facebook users 'more likely to have eating disorders' - Feb 08, 2011
- Young in India dieting, fasting to look good: Study - Apr 29, 2011
- False body-image may cause unsafe weight-loss behaviour - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: anxiety and depression, behaviours, body satisfaction, california san diego, control behaviour, depression anxiety, feelings of depression, health reports, journal of adolescent health, obese girls, offsets, paediatrics, poise, school of medicine, self image, skipping meals, symptoms of anxiety, symptoms of anxiety and depression, thinness, university of california san diego