Obama’s top national security aide to visit India, ChinaOctober 19th, 2011 - 11:02 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 19 (IANS) President Barack Obama’s National Security Advisor Thomas E. Donilon will travel to India later this week to discuss ways “to advance key elements” of India-US strategic partnership.
Before reaching New Delhi, Donilon will visit Beijing Friday for meetings with Chinese leaders and policymakers, including Vice Premier Wang Qishan and State Councilor Dai Bingguo, the White House announced Tuesday.
In India, he will have meetings with Indian leaders including the National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon to “review recent developments in the US-India strategic partnership”, the White House said.
He would “discuss ways to advance key elements of the relationship, including both countries’ participation in the upcoming East Asia Summit”, it added.
“Donilon’s visit underscores this Administration’s commitment to growing US leadership in Asia, and our work with emerging powers, such as China and India, as a core component of this commitment,” the White House said.
The announcement gave no details of what Donilon’s meetings in China would cover except saying that they would “discuss a wide range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual concern”.
Donilon’s visit to India comes at a time of increasing tension between the US and its key ally Pakistan amid accusations that its spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence supports Haqqani Network terror group to limit New Delhi’s influence in Afghanistan.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hillary Clinton to visit India, China, Bangladesh - Apr 27, 2012
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- Obama committed 'true global, strategic partnership' with India - Jan 30, 2011
- N-deal, Iran sanction to figure in Mathai's talks in US - Feb 06, 2012
- Menon meets Clinton to prepare for strategic dialogue - Jan 28, 2011
- Michelle Obama wants to visit India again - Feb 02, 2011
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- Clinton arrives in Beijing - May 02, 2012
- US delegates to visit China to 'reduce military and economic tensions' - Sep 04, 2010
- Conciliatory China says US and Beijing should not see each other as a 'threat' - Sep 08, 2010
- US wants India to play key role in Asia-Pacific region - Nov 23, 2011
- China, US to hold second round of strategic talks in May - Apr 28, 2010
- Menon to visit Washington to prepare for strategic dialogue - Jan 25, 2011
- Nirupama Rao presents credentials to Obama (With Images) - Sep 10, 2011
- Obama to meet Karzai in Chicago - May 18, 2012