Obama’s outsourcing talk shouldn’t worry India: ChidambaramNovember 5th, 2008 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 5 (IANS) Finance Minister P. Chidambaram congratulated Democrat Barack Obama for his historic win in the US presidential election and said the Indian IT industry had no reason to worry over his pronounced policies on outsourcing.“I am very confident India-US relations will only grow stronger and stronger,” said the finance minister. “He will be a change agent.”
Chidambaram, who said he was speaking as an individual and not for the Indian government, maintained that the Indian software and information technology-enabled services industry should not be worried over Obama’s policies.
“A comment here or a comment there on outsourcing should not bother us,” he said when asked to comment on the promises by Obama during his campaign to look into the issue of Americans purportedly losing jobs to countries like India.
“Once he is in office, he will realise that this is an inter-connected world and countries have to work together.”
Obama will be formally inaugurated 44th president of the US Jan 20.
The president-elect had said during his election campaign the US needed to stop giving tax breaks to companies that ship jobs away and instead extend incentives to those that invest in the country.
- India's IT industry welcomes obama (Roundup) - Nov 06, 2008
- Eyeing election, Obama calls for bringing jobs back home (Second lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Anti-outsourcing move will hurt US: Mukherjee - Jan 30, 2012
- Obama plays China card against Romney - Sep 18, 2012
- Obama attacks Romney for shipping jobs to India - Jun 23, 2012
- Obama begins re-election campaign, hits out at outsourcing (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Poll rout not to alter India-US ties: Obama (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Stopping outsourcing would hurt both India, US: Pranab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- US supports India's rise: Obama - Nov 06, 2010
- India to raise US visa fee hike, outsourcing ban at trade dialogue - Sep 21, 2010
- Obama's outsourcing stand relieves Indian IT industry (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Indian IT industry to raise outsourcing issue with Obama - Oct 26, 2010
- Obama invokes India, China to launch populist agenda - Dec 07, 2011
- Obama makes hay with Romney's 'offshoring' record - Jun 27, 2012
- Stable Pakistan in interest of India, US, say senators - Jan 12, 2012