Obama’s Malayali classmate can’t wait to meet himNovember 5th, 2008 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Nov 5 (IANS) Ajay Malarkandi’s phone hasn’t stopped ringing since Wednesday morning. The advocate in Kerala studied law with US president-elect Barack Obama at Harvard and he just can’t wait to meet his former classmate at the institute’s reunion.”I am yet to have lunch because I have been flooded with calls from several quarters because I and Obama belonged to the Class of 1991 at the Harvard Law School,” Malarkandi told IANS.
He fondly recalled Obama as a “down-to-earth” person who had no airs.
“Obama shot into prominence when he became the first African American editor of the prestigious Harvard Law Review. Even though I am in contact with a few (former) classmates, I am yet to see him (Obama) after leaving the institution,” said Malarkandi.
The Kochi lawyer is now looking forward to attending the 20th reunion of Harvard Law School’s class of 1991 that is set to be held in 2011.
“I did not attend the 15th reunion but now with Obama becoming president, the 20th reunion is going to be special and I will see to it that I attend it,” Malarkandi said.
Obama won a historic victory in the race for the White House with Republican rival John McCain accepting defeat. He will be the first African American president of the US and will be sworn in on Jan 20 next year.
- Obama names another Indian-American to key post - Dec 08, 2011
- India will get more prominence at Harvard - Aug 07, 2011
- 'Trump's question over Obama's intelligence, background is racism by inference' - May 02, 2011
- Obama names two Indian-Americans to key posts - Jan 27, 2011
- Mumbai industrialist elected as Harvard Overseer (With image) - May 30, 2012
- US African American history museum breaks ground - Feb 23, 2012
- Trump bristles at claim that he's racist - Apr 29, 2011
- Profiles of candidates for World Bank president - Mar 24, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans win fellowships - Apr 28, 2012
- Milestones in the life and presidency of Obama - Nov 04, 2010
- Indian Vs Indian slugfest in the Big Apple - Oct 30, 2011
- Obama names yet another Indian American to key post - Apr 08, 2011
- Gay history, rights to be taught in US schools - Apr 17, 2011
- Over six mn Latin American, Caribbean kids not in school - Sep 01, 2012
- Obama cites Dalip Singh Saund to laud Asian contribution - May 09, 2012