Obama’s journey to White House will inspire all: Manmohan SinghNovember 5th, 2008 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 5 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday congratulated Barack Obama on his election as the 44th president of the United States and said his “journey to the White House” would inspire people not only in the US but also around the world. “Your extraordinary journey to the White House will inspire people not only in your country but also around the world,” Manmohan Singh said in his congratulatory message.
“The people of India and the United States are bound by their shared commitment to freedom, justice, pluralism, individual rights and democracy. These ideals provide a solid bedrock for friendship and strategic partnership between our two nations.”
Obama won a historic victory in the race for the White House with Republican rival John McCain conceding defeat. He will be the first African American president of the US and will be sworn in on Jan 20 next year.
The prime minister has invited Obama to India, emphasising that a warm welcome awaited him.
“We have strong ties between our peoples and I look forward to working with you to realise the enormous potential for cooperation that exists between India and the United States,” he said.
“Our two countries working together to address global issues and challenges will be an important factor for world peace, stability and progress.”
“I hope you will find an opportunity to visit India soon. A warm welcome awaits you.”
- Manmohan Singh congratulates senator Barack Obama - Nov 05, 2008
- India hails Obama's 'historic' win, hopes for stronger ties (Lead) - Nov 05, 2008
- US media plays up Indian PM's Washington visit to the hilt (Part-II) - Nov 26, 2009
- An Obama toast for India - Nov 25, 2009
- Remarks By President Obama And Prime Minister Singh Of India At State Dinner - Nov 25, 2009
- Nirupama Rao presents credentials to Obama (With Images) - Sep 10, 2011
- India is indispensable to US, says Barack Obama - Nov 24, 2009
- Obama visit will reflect Diwali spirit: envoy - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama thanks Indians for their extraordinary hospitality - Nov 08, 2010
- Gurdwara shooting: Obama calls Manmohan; conveys people's solidarity - Aug 09, 2012
- India on Obama's mind - Nov 02, 2010
- Democracy is best guarantor of internal security: PM - Dec 31, 2011
- Singapore opened new horizons for India: PM - Nov 20, 2011
- I am proud to go to India: Obama - Jun 04, 2010
- `Aapka Swagat Hai', Obama tells PM at star-studded dinner (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009