Obama wishes Indians ‘Happy Diwali and Saal Mubarak’October 27th, 2011 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 27 (IANS) President Barack Obama, the first US president to celebrate Diwali in the White House in 2009, has wished Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists around the world a “Happy Diwali and Saal Mubarak.”
“Today, here in America and around the world, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists will celebrate the holiday of Diwali - the festival of lights,” he said in a statement on the observance of Diwali Wednesaday.
“Many who observe this holiday do so by lighting the Diya, or lamp, which symbolizes the victory of light over darkness and knowledge over ignorance,” said Obama, who along with wife Michelle joined Diwali celebrations in Mumbai during his visit to India in November last year.
“I was proud to be the first president to mark Diwali and light the Diya at the White House, and last year Michelle and I were honoured to join in Diwali celebrations during our visit to India,” he said recalling his association with the festival of lights.
“Diwali is a time for gathering with family and friends and-as we experienced in India-celebrating with good food and dancing. It is also a time for contemplation and prayer that serves as a reminder of our obligations to our fellow human beings, especially the less fortunate.
“To all who are observing this sacred holiday here and around the world, Happy Diwali and Saal Mubarak.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Obama extends Diwali greetings, looking forward to India visit - Nov 04, 2010
- President Obama greets people on Diwali - Nov 05, 2010
- Obama lights diya to celebrate Diwali at White House - Oct 29, 2011
- Hindus laud Obama for celebrating Diwali in White House - Oct 15, 2009
- Diwali in White House - Oct 16, 2009
- Obama brings Diwali celebrations to the White House - Oct 15, 2009
- Barack Obama celebrates Diwali in the White House - Oct 15, 2009
- Obama's India visit reflects spirit of Diwali: Hillary - Nov 05, 2010
- Happy Diwali, says Obama at White House event (Lead) - Oct 15, 2009
- 'Diya', 'Saal mubarak', Obama strikes chord with Hindi words - Nov 06, 2010
- US Senate greets Indian diaspora on Diwali - Oct 26, 2011
- Obama visit will reflect Diwali spirit: envoy - Nov 04, 2010
- Hindus welcome "Happy Diwali" wish of White House - Nov 05, 2010
- Obamas show how to win hearts - and do business too! - Nov 07, 2010
- Hollywood diva Paula Abdul did not know what 'Diwali' was - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: arun kumar, barack obama, buddhists, contemplation, diwali, diwali celebrations, diya, fellow human beings, festival of lights, first president, good food, hindus, jains, mumbai, observance, saal mubarak, sacred holiday, sikhs, victory of light, wife michelle