Obama visit will reflect Diwali spirit: envoyNovember 4th, 2010 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) President Barack Obama’s visit “will reflect the spirit of Diwali as it symbolizes the warm, close and strong shared values between the US and India”, the American ambassador said Thursday.
“I already sense that the people of India will welcome him with the incredible warmth, grace and goodwill I have seen in this great nation,” Timothy J. Roemer said greeting Indians on the occasion of Diwali.
The US envoy said in a statement that he could “experience the excitement in the air for the Diwali holiday.
“This is a very special time of year to be in India.
“This Diwali holiday will have an added element of excitement as we will be celebrating it with President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.”
He pointed out that Obama became the first US president to preside over a Diwali celebration at the White House.
“(Obama) also welcomed Prime Minister (Manmohan) Singh to the White House for his first official state dinner last November.
“This year, President Obama will celebrate the ties between our countries by travelling to India for his first official visit.”
“Diwali is a time for eating sweets and lighting diya lamps, and enjoying time with family and friends.
“As the President’s representative in India, I offer our best wishes to the people of India for a festive and safe Diwali holiday.”
Obama will be in Mumbai and New Delhi Nov 6-9, then leave for Indonesia.
- Obama wishes Indians 'Happy Diwali and Saal Mubarak' - Oct 27, 2011
- Obama extends Diwali greetings, looking forward to India visit - Nov 04, 2010
- Obama lights diya to celebrate Diwali at White House - Oct 29, 2011
- President Obama greets people on Diwali - Nov 05, 2010
- Hindus laud Obama for celebrating Diwali in White House - Oct 15, 2009
- Bollywood celebs to ring in Diwali with family, friends - Nov 02, 2010
- Hindus welcome "Happy Diwali" wish of White House - Nov 05, 2010
- Diwali in White House - Oct 16, 2009
- Michelle Obama to bring a touch of compassion in India - Nov 03, 2010
- Eloquent Obama gets 25 rounds of applause (Sidelights) - Nov 08, 2010
- Barack, Michelle Obama dance with Mumbai school children - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas show how to win hearts - and do business too! - Nov 07, 2010
- Obama, Michelle start Day 2 in Mumbai school (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Obama excited about India visit: US envoy - Sep 10, 2010
- Obama brings Diwali celebrations to the White House - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,