Obama to visit Humayun’s TombOctober 28th, 2010 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 28 (IANS) Barack Obama will visit the Humayun’s Tomb here, becoming the first US president to see the 16th century monument, an official said Thursday.
“I don’t think any US president has visited Humayun’s Tomb in the last 20 years. But the visit depends on security arrangements,” Archaeological Survey of India Joint Director-General B.R. Mani told IANS.
The ASI has not drawn up any special plans for the tomb in view of Obama’s visit, Mani said.
According to Ben Rhodes, Obama’s official speech-writer and spokesperson, “the tomb is one of the great cultural marvels in New Delhi”.
“The president felt it was important, given the rich civilization that India has, to pay tribute to it through this stop,” Rhodes said.
Obama is arriving in Mumbai Nov 6, and will fly to Indonesia after a four-day visit of India.
The Humayun’s tomb was commissioned in 1562 AD by the emperor’s wife Hamida Banu Begum and designed by Mirak Mirza Ghiyath, a Persian architect.
It was the first garden tomb in the sub-continent with landscaped lawns and orchards.
Built in red sandstone and marble, it is located in Nizamuddin East. The Humayun’s Tomb was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1993.
“The ASI is renovating the tomb with the Aga Khan Trust. The first phase of the project that envisages to revive the ancient water channels in the mausoleum complex is nearing completion,” Mani said.
“The second phase will focus on the domes and the main tomb structure while the third phase will refurbish the complex and the surrounding areas. Architects will revive the ancient connection between the Nila Gumbad (a blue domed mausoleum located adjacent to the complex) and the main tomb,” Mani said.
The ASI hoped to complete work by next year, Mani said.
The renovation work is spearheaded by conservation architect Ratish Nanda from the Aga Khan Trust.
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb, described as 'cultural marvel' (Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Humayun's Tomb gets 16th century makeover (With Images) - Jun 16, 2011
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb (U.S. President visit: latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb in New Delhi - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas' will head to Delhi's highly secured Humayun's Tomb directly from airport - Nov 07, 2010
- U.S. President Obama arrives in Delhi, will visit Humayun Tomb (latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- U.S. President Obama arrives in Delhi, heads to Humayun Tomb - Nov 07, 2010
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- US aid to restore 16th century mausoleum (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- Railways pulled up for work near heritage monument - Jan 06, 2010
- Obamas get to meet 'slumdog kids' - Nov 07, 2010
- Why is Humayun's tomb on Obama's itinerary? - Nov 06, 2010
- President Obama arrives in Delhi, PM sets aside protocol to receive him - Nov 07, 2010
- He took Obamas down the passages of history - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: 16th century, aga khan trust, archaeological survey of india, barack obama, conservation architect, domes, garden tomb, marvels, mausoleum, nanda, nila, nizamuddin, orchards, renovation work, sandstone, second phase, security arrangements, speech writer, water channels, world heritage site