Obama to visit Humayun’s Tomb, described as ‘cultural marvel’ (Lead)October 28th, 2010 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 28 (IANS) US President Barack Obama will visit the Humayun’s Tomb, a World Heritage site that was the first garden tomb in the subcontinent built in the 16th century in memory of the second Mughal emperor by his wife.
He will be the first US president to visit the monument that is a big tourist draw.
“I don’t think any US president has visited Humayun’s Tomb in the last 20 years. But the visit depends on security arrangements,” Archaeological Survey of India Joint Director-General B.R. Mani told IANS.
According to Ben Rhodes, Obama’s official speech-writer and spokesperson, “the tomb is one of the great cultural marvels in New Delhi”.
“The president felt it was important, given the rich civilization that India has, to pay tribute to it through this stop,” Rhodes said.
Obama is arriving in Mumbai Nov 6, and will fly to Indonesia after a four-day visit of India.
The Humayun’s tomb was commissioned in 1562 AD by the emperor’s wife Hamida Banu Begum and designed by Mirak Mirza Ghiyath, a Persian architect. It was the first garden tomb in the sub-continent with landscaped lawns and orchards.
Built in red sandstone and marble, it is located in Nizamuddin East. The Humayun’s Tomb was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1993.
“The ASI is renovating the tomb with the Aga Khan Trust. The first phase of the project that envisages to revive the ancient water channels in the mausoleum complex is nearing completion,” Mani said.
“The second phase will focus on the domes and the main tomb structure while the third phase will refurbish the complex and the surrounding areas. Architects will revive the ancient connection between the Nila Gumbad (a blue domed mausoleum located adjacent to the complex) and the main tomb,” Mani said.
The ASI hoped to complete work by next year, Mani said.
The renovation work is spearheaded by conservation architect Ratish Nanda from the Aga Khan Trust.
- Obama to visit Humayun's Tomb - Oct 28, 2010
- Humayun's Tomb gets 16th century makeover (With Images) - Jun 16, 2011
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb (U.S. President visit: latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb in New Delhi - Nov 07, 2010
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Obamas' will head to Delhi's highly secured Humayun's Tomb directly from airport - Nov 07, 2010
- U.S. President Obama arrives in Delhi, will visit Humayun Tomb (latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- U.S. President Obama arrives in Delhi, heads to Humayun Tomb - Nov 07, 2010
- US president, wife visit Humayun's tomb - Nov 07, 2010
- Obama visits Humayun's tomb, finds it spectacular (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- US aid to restore 16th century mausoleum (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- Obamas get to meet 'slumdog kids' - Nov 07, 2010
- He took Obamas down the passages of history - Nov 07, 2010
- President Obama arrives in Delhi, PM sets aside protocol to receive him - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: aga khan trust, archaeological survey of india, barack obama, conservation architect, domes, garden tomb, marvels, mausoleum, mughal emperor, nanda, nila, nizamuddin, orchards, renovation work, sandstone, second phase, security arrangements, speech writer, water channels, world heritage site