Obama to cut short vacation due to Hurricane IreneAugust 27th, 2011 - 3:57 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 27 (IANS) US President Barack Obama will end his vacation and return to Washington ahead of schedule to better deal with Hurricane Irene, the White House said Friday.
The hurricane is expected to impact the East Coast over the weekend.
“The president informed his team that he would like to depart Martha’s Vineyard this evening to return to the White House,” Xinhua quoted White House spokesman Josh Earnest telling reporters.
Obama was originally scheduled to leave Martha’s Vineyard off the coast of Massachusetts Saturday.
He has been under attack in recent days for his unwillingness to cut his vacation short to deal with the potentially devastating hurricane.
“I think the president simply reached the conclusion that it would be more prudent for him to be in Washington, D.C., and to be at the White House at the end of the day today,” Earnest said.
The announcement came shortly after the president made a statement from his vacation site, calling on Americans to take the approaching hurricane “seriously,” and make preparations if they live on the projected path of the hurricane.
- Obama declares emergency for New York ahead of hurricane(Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Hurricane Irene slams US, millions brace for storm's fury (Lead) - Aug 27, 2011
- Obama to vacation at Martha's vineyard - Aug 11, 2011
- Gaddafi's rule in Libya has come to an end: Obama - Aug 22, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes the U.S. East Coast, widely felt - Aug 24, 2011
- Obama begins vacation by picking up summer reading - Aug 21, 2010
- Obama inspects damage by hurricane Irene - Sep 05, 2011
- Hurricane Bill heads for Obamas' vacation island - Aug 23, 2009
- Barack Obama Intends To Execute A Substantial Speech On Iraq In The Near Future - Aug 23, 2010
- Obama family to begin their 6th holiday of the year - Aug 19, 2010
- Obamas enjoy "middle class" holiday in North Carolina - Apr 24, 2010
- President Barack Obama Lands On Martha's Vineyard For 10-Day Vacation With Family - Aug 20, 2010
- India, China boom pushing fuel prices: White House - Feb 25, 2012
- Barack Obama takes his family for a vacation in Martha's Vineyard - Aug 23, 2010
- 100 flights cancelled in Canada over Irene storm - Aug 29, 2011