Obama tells Manmohan he wants to deepen India-US tiesJune 11th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) US President Barack Obama is committed to broadening and deepening relations with India, according to a letter from him given Thursday to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
US Undersecretary of State William Burns handed over the communication from Obama to the prime minister.
“I conveyed a personal message from President Obama which underscores his commitment to broadening and deepening relations between India and the US,” Burns told reporters later.
“The US views India as one of our key global partners in the 21st century. We can accomplish a lot together in the days to come,” he added.
Earlier in Washington, the US special envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke, disclosed that Burns was carrying a letter from the president for Manmohan Singh.
“It’s a private letter,” said Holbrooke, declining to disclose the contents. “But the important thing is that the number three person in the Department of State has gone to India … immediately after the (Indian parliamentary) election,” he said.
“And without getting into Indian politics, all I can say is that all of us - Secretary (of State) Hillary Clinton, Bill Burns, myself, President Obama - everyone looks forward to working with the newly elected Indian government.”
- Krishna invites Clinton for strategic dialogue, discusses Afghanistan - Dec 23, 2010
- Obama writes to 'absolutely critical country' India (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- India, US to iron out n-liability irritants - Dec 10, 2011
- US must support India's UN council membership: Ex-diplomats - Nov 05, 2010
- Gurdwara shooting: Obama calls Manmohan; conveys people's solidarity - Aug 09, 2012
- India is an 'absolutely critical country' for US - Jun 11, 2009
- US backs resumption of India-Pakistan dialogue, says n-deal on track (Roundup) - Jun 11, 2009
- Richard Holbrooke In Critical Condition After Heart Surgery - Dec 12, 2010
- Roemer quitting as US envoy for 'family reasons' (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- US presses India for nuclear level playing field - Dec 13, 2011
- Roemer quitting as US ambassador to India - Apr 28, 2011
- US committed to India's emergence as global power: Burns - Jun 02, 2010
- 'India hoping for forward-looking outcome on Sri Lanka resolution' - Mar 13, 2012
- Indian American to assist Holbrooke's successor (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- India, US ready for strategic ties, says PM (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010