Obama supports gay marriageMay 10th, 2012 - 9:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has announced his support for the same-sex marriage by making a complete U-turn on his well-known opposition to the subject.
Obama described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this decision, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters, reported Xinhua citing ABC News.
“At a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” said Obama, in an interview which is to feature on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday.
The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he is confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married.
Earlier, Obama had moved in the direction of supporting same-sex marriage but consistently stopped short of outright backing it, only voicing support for civil unions for gay and lesbian couples that provide the rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples, though not defined as “marriage”.
Obama also opposed efforts to ban gay marriage at the state level, saying that he did not favour attempts to strip rights away from gay and lesbian couples.
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- Romney rejects same-sex marriage - May 13, 2012
- US shifts legal stance on gay marriage - Feb 24, 2011
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional, Mass. Federal Judge Rules - Jul 12, 2010
- What will Obama's gay turn cost? - May 14, 2012
- Gay marriage not a human right: European ruling - Mar 21, 2012
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- Ricky Martin dedicates prize to victim of homophobic violence - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: abc news, barack obama, civil unions, conversations, favour, gay and lesbian couples, gay marriage, gays and lesbians, good morning america, marriage, married couples, opposition, personal position, same sex couples, same sex marriage, service members, staff members, thought process, u turn, xinhua