Obama stays away from G20 summitNovember 12th, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 12 (DPA) US president-elect Barack Obama will meet none of the 20 world leaders descending on Washington this weekend for an emergency financial summit, the head of Obama’s transition team said.Obama will remain in his home town of Chicago for the weekend continuing preparations to enter the White House Jan 20 and will host no foreign dignitaries, according to John Podesta, co-chair of Obama’s transition team.
Obama’s team made clear last week that the president-elect would not attend Saturday’s summit of the Group of 20 nations, but there had been speculation he would hold bilateral talks with some of the leaders in Washington.
“It’s not appropriate for two people to show up at this meeting.
The president-elect will respect that we have one president at a time,” Podesta told reporters.
Some of Obama’s closest advisors may meet with world leaders in Washington over the weekend, Podesta said.
President George W. Bush called the emergency summit last month to discuss efforts to halt a spiralling financial crisis that has severely cut growth around the world.
Obama has spoken by telephone with a number of world leaders who have offered their congratulations since his election Nov 4.
- Obama calls Putin - Mar 10, 2012
- Muthuraman to co-chair finance committee at B20 summit - Nov 01, 2011
- World leaders congratulate Hollande - May 07, 2012
- Hope G20 can help end global economic crisis: PM - Jun 18, 2012
- Russian, US presidents to meet in March - Dec 17, 2011
- Obama won''t attend global financial summit in New York - Nov 11, 2008
- US, EU greet Egyptian president-elect on his win (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- US congratulates Egyptian president-elect - Jun 25, 2012
- Obama speaks with foreign leaders on Egypt situation - Jan 31, 2011
- Obama to appoint Republicans to key cabinet roles - Nov 13, 2008
- India proposes working group for BRICS development bank - Apr 20, 2012
- Americans must unleash creative spirit to protect jobs in shifting global economy: Obama - Jan 26, 2011
- Economy likely to dominate Obama-Bush discussion - Nov 10, 2008
- US shares "common ground" with EU on financial turmoil - Nov 09, 2008
- Manmohan to meet leaders from Canada, Brazil at Seoul G20 - Nov 09, 2010