Obama lauds South Asians’ support in his campaignJuly 16th, 2008 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 16 (IANS) Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama has thanked South Asians for supporting his campaign and stressed that they played a big role in enabling the US to “overcome the politics of division and distraction”. In a letter to South Asians for Obama (SAFO), a voluntary organisation, he wrote: “I truly can’t thank you enough for doing your part and for helping us get this far.”
SAFO, Obama said, “has been an enormous help to our constituency outreach efforts across the country”.
The organisation is led by national coordinator Hrishi Karthikeyan, Dave Kumar, Anhoni Patel and Nicholas Rathod.
Obama then went on to recognise the “outstanding work” of SAFO’s regional coordinators from several places like Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Fransisco and Washington DC.
“Together, we are sending the message that ordinary people can still do extraordinary things. We are doing something extraordinary, and you are an important part of that,” Obama said.
“It is because of you, we saw that it is possible to overcome the politics of division and distraction and it is possible to overcome the same old negative attacks that are always about scoring points and never about solving problems.
“We have seen that the American people are looking for honest answers about the challenges we face. That’s what you’ve accomplished in this campaign, and that’s how we’ll change this country together,” he added in the letter released by SAFO on its website.
- We finally achieved our goal: South Asians for Obama - Nov 05, 2008
- Indian American named to key White House position - Feb 08, 2009
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- Seven-language campaign to educate South Asian voters in US - Sep 10, 2012
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Lady Gaga to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11 - Sep 07, 2011
- U.S. Congresswoman Giffords to resign and focus on recovery - Jan 23, 2012
- After five-state sweep, Romney readies to battle Obama (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- New Thai envoy vows to further enhance relations with the Philippines - Apr 29, 2011
- Michelle a better dancer now: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
- Indian American actor Kal Penn to host Obama nomination meet - Sep 04, 2012
- Bobby Jindal intensifies attack on Obama - Jul 19, 2012
- Vettel gets away with his idiot remark and obscene gesture - Mar 30, 2012
- US rejects Indian-Americans' plea on disclosing offshore accounts - Aug 17, 2011