Obama fails to bring cheer to Indian equities (Roundup)January 21st, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 21 (IANS) Taking cues from global markets which were little enthused by the inaugural speech of US President Barack Obama, Indian equities also fell Wednesday, pulling a key index down by 3.53 percent.The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) shut shop at 8,779.17 points, down 3.53 percent or 321.38 points from its close Tuesday.
The broader S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange also ended in a slump, dropping 3.23 percent from its last close to 2,706.15 points.
Other market indices like the BSE midcap closed in the negative terrain, ending 1.97 percent lower, while the BSE smallcap was down 1.93 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the Sensex, power and metal indices fell the most, while fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) stocks saw some buying.
Markets were a mixed bag Wednesday with as many as 1,669 stocks declining, 720 scrips advancing and 104 remaining unchanged.
Among major gainers were Hindustan Unilever (up 3.39 percent to close at Rs.254.55) and ITC (up 0.15 percent at Rs.170.70).
Top losers were Sterlite (down 7.97 percent at Rs.237.25), HDFC (down 7.49 percent at Rs.1,372.25) and Tata Power (down 7.32 percent at Rs.713.60).
Among big losers was Educomp, which lost about 22 percent of its scrip value, even after the company came out with statements to allay fears about insider trading.
Earlier, there were media reports that the company had manipulated its accounts, resulting in a rapid growth in its turnover and hefty profits made by the promoters in the company’s share trading.
In other Asian markets, the Nikkei, a key index of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, closed 1.56 percent down over its last close while the Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, ended trade 1.8 percent lower than its previous close.
- Sensex rises 31 points; oil and gas, PSU stocks up - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex slumps 143 points on weak economic numbers - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex falls 97 points in choppy trade (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012