Obama demands Congress produce `serious’ plan for debtJuly 16th, 2011 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 16 (IANS/EFE) President Barack Obama said Friday that Congress has very little time left to produce a “serious” plan to reduce the deficit and clear the way toward raising the US debt limit before Aug 2.
“We should not even be this close to a deadline on this issue. This should have been taken care of earlier,” he said at a White House press conference.
“If they show me a serious plan, I’m ready to move, even if it requires some tough sacrifices on my part,” Obama said, referring to congressional Republicans, who have made increasing the debt limit contingent on sharply reducing the budget deficit, but without increases in revenue.
Congressional leaders from both parties were at the White House every day this week for negotiations with the president on the issue.
The talks adjourned Thursday, when Obama gave the leaders 24-36 hours to confer with their colleagues in pursuit of a compromise.
If both sides are willing to put politics aside, the president said Friday, they have an “opportunity to stabilise America’s finances” for the next decade and even beyond.
“I am still pushing for us to achieve a big deal,” Obama said, repeating his preference for a plan that would reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years through a combination of spending cuts and tax increases.
That proposal also contemplates changes to entitlement programmes such as Social Security, an idea opposed by some of the president’s fellow Democrats.
While emphasising his desire for a “big” accord, Obama welcomed talk from Republicans about the need to raise the debt limit even if agreement on deficit-cutting remains elusive.
“I’m glad the congressional leaders want to raise the debt ceiling, but I think the American people expect more,” the president said.
- Obama asks Congress to solve debt crisis - Jul 24, 2011
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- Obama, congressional leaders announce deal to raise debt ceiling, cut spending - Aug 01, 2011
- Congress must act now on debt limit: Top US official - Jul 15, 2011
- Failure to raise debt limit could trigger slump: Obama - Jul 07, 2011
- Obama vows US won't default - Jul 12, 2011
- Congress leaders scramble to sell debt deal (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Republicans reject tax breaks cut for wealthy - Sep 13, 2011
- US congressional debt panel composition set - Aug 12, 2011
- Obama presents budget plan - Feb 14, 2012
- Deal reached with Republicans on raising debt ceiling: Obama - Aug 01, 2011
- US House passes historic debt deal (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Obama cuts a debt deal with Congress (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Obama unveils deficit reduction plan - Sep 19, 2011
- Obama signs deal to avoid catastrophic US default (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: aug 2, barack obama, budget deficit, compromise, congressional leaders, contingent, debt ceiling, debt limit, efe, fellow democrats, little time, negotiations, preference, republicans, sacrifices, social security, tax increases, trillion, white house press, white house press conference