Obama condoles Ethiopian PM’s deathAugust 22nd, 2012 - 7:06 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 22 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Tuesday offered his condolences to Ethiopia over the death of the country’s prime minister, Meles Zenawi, and hailed his contribution to the east African country.
The 57-year-old Ethiopian leader died Monday night following a sudden infection while recovering in a hospital abroad, Ethiopian state TV reported Tuesday. He had not appeared in public in the last two months because of an unspecified illness.
“It was with sadness that I learned of the passing of prime minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia,” Xinhua quoted Obama as saying in a statement released by the White House. “Prime Minister Meles deserves recognition for his lifelong contribution to Ethiopia’s development, particularly his unyielding commitment to Ethiopia’s poor.”
Offering his condolences, Obama reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the partnership with Ethiopia.
Zenawi was the president of Ethiopia’s transitional government from 1991 to 1995, after which he was elected as the country’s prime minister and he remained at the post ever since.
According to Ethiopian state TV, Deputy Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn will now be acting prime minister.
- Ethiopian PM is dead - Aug 21, 2012
- Ethiopian PM misses AU summit, health rumours float - Jul 17, 2012
- Orderly transition in Ethiopia, business ties with India to grow : Envoy (Interview) - Aug 30, 2012
- Ethiopia seeks more Indian teachers, agriculturists - May 23, 2011
- Ethiopian deputy prime minister arrives in India - Nov 30, 2010
- India to pay homage at Ethiopian leader's funeral - Aug 28, 2012
- India's democratic development a lesson for Africa: Ethiopia Deputy PM - May 22, 2011
- PM lands in Addis Ababa - May 23, 2011
- No Indian land grab, says Ethiopian PM - May 25, 2011
- As China-built AU centre opens, India focuses on quiet Africa diplomacy (With images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Ethiopian deputy prime minister to visit India - Nov 26, 2010
- Manmohan Singh seeks better trade ties with Ethiopia - Nov 11, 2010
- India sees greater trade with Ethiopia thanks to tariff pact (With Image) - Dec 02, 2010
- Ethiopian PM hails ties with India - May 22, 2011
- Trade, development on agenda of PM's visit to Ethiopia, Tanzania - May 17, 2011
Tags: barack obama, condolences, deputy prime minister, last two months, lifelong contribution, meles zenawi, monday night, partnership, president of ethiopia, prime minister meles, prime minister meles zenawi, sadness, state tv, transitional government, unyielding commitment, white house, xinhua