Obama calls Karzai over civilian killingsMarch 12th, 2012 - 4:32 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 12 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Sunday called Afghan President Hamid Karzai to express his “shock and sadness” at the killing of Afghan civilians.
A US soldier Sunday morning walked out from his military base in Kandahar province and opened fire, killing 16 civilians, including women and children.
“President Obama extended his condolences to the people of Afghanistan, and made clear his administration’s commitment to establish the facts as quickly as possible and to hold fully accountable anyone responsible,” the White House said in a statement.
Obama also “reaffirmed our deep respect for the Afghan people and the bonds between our two countries,” Xinhua quoted the statement as saying.
President Obama described the incident as “tragic and shocking”, saying it “does not represent the exceptional character of our military and the respect that the United States has for the people of Afghanistan”.
The incident came as relations between Washington and Kabul have been strained over the burning of copies of Quran by US troops last month.
Karzai condemned the killing as an “unforgivable action”, demanding an “explanation” from Washington.
- Karzai condemns, US saddened over Afghan killings (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Obama, Karzai reaffirm commitment to Afghan mission - Aug 08, 2011
- Shooting rampage: US soldier moved out of Afghanistan - Mar 15, 2012
- PM shocked at Ahmed Karzai's assassination - Jul 12, 2011
- Clinton regrets Afghan shooting incident - Mar 22, 2012
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- Obama calls US commander over Afghan violence - Feb 26, 2012
- Obama offers condolences over Afghan chopper crash - Aug 06, 2011
- Turkish military helicopter crashes in Kabul, killing 16 - Mar 18, 2012
- NATO apologizes for airstrike which killed Afghan women, children - May 30, 2011
- Malaysians protest Quran burning in Afghanistan - Feb 24, 2012
- US vows full accountability in Afghan shooting (Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 11, 2012
- Afghan president's half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Afghan President asks US Congress to condemn Quran burning - Apr 04, 2011
- Obama apologisesn over Quran burning - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: afghan president hamid karzai, barack obama, bonds, civilian killings, civilians, condolences, hamid karzai, kabul, kandahar province, military base, people of afghanistan, president hamid karzai, quran, sadness, shock, sunday morning, united states, us soldier, white house, xinhua