Obama bars daughters from FacebookDecember 17th, 2011 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 17 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has barred his daughters from using Facebook because he doesn’t want “strangers knowing our business”, a media report said.
Obama said it “does not make much sense” to put the most private details of his family life on public view.
His elder daughter, Malia, is 13, and just old enough to use Facebook. Her younger sister Sasha is 10, gthe Daily Mail reported Saturday.
Obama said he won’t consider allowing them to join the site until they are both four years older.
His admission seems somewhat ironic, given that he made full use of Facebook and other websites to encourage the young to vote for him in the presidential election — and to raise millions of dollars for his campaign. As a result, he became known as the “First Social Media President”, the daily said.
His Facebook page — which has 24 million “likes” — remains a key part of his ongoing efforts to seek re-election to the White House.
One of the many photos on the page shows Obama swimming in the sea with one of his daughters.
In an interview, the president described the thinking behind the Facebook ban as: “Why would we want to have a whole bunch of people who we don’t know knowing our business? That doesn’t make much sense.”
He added: “We’ll see how they (his daughters) feel in four years.”
But he seemed to have few qualms earlier this week when using Facebook to release the latest official family portrait.
The photograph shows the president sitting with First Lady Michelle and their two daughters, all grinning broadly.
It was given the caption “The new Obama family portrait!” and has so far drawn 71,000 “likes” and 11,000 comments.
It was released to coincide with Christmas, but is not the official Christmas card, which shows an empty room in the White House with the family dog, Bo, lying by the fire.
- US First Lady: 'No Facebook for Obama girls' - Feb 09, 2011
- Parents back Michelle Obama's 'Facebook ban on her daughters' - Feb 11, 2011
- How Obamas' daughters live a normal life - Nov 27, 2010
- Sarah Palin wants some answers on why Obama contacted Sandra Fluke's parents - Mar 08, 2012
- Obama's daughter safe after Mexico quake - Mar 21, 2012
- Reagan on Obama's holiday reading list (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Indonesian jailed for 'God doesn't exist' Facebook post - Jun 15, 2012
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- Obama takes plunge to show Gulf Coast is safe - Aug 15, 2010
- Michelle Obama reveals daughter's party clothes left President gulping! - Apr 19, 2011
- New Jersey shooting rekindles debate on US gun laws (Third Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- US President Elbowed By Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Director Rey Decerega - Nov 27, 2010
- My mum still does her own laundry, says Michelle Obama - Apr 22, 2011
- Obama attends historic Washington church on Easter - Apr 25, 2011
- Zuckerberg dresses up formally for Obama - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: admission, barack obama, caption, christmas, christmas card, daily mail, elder daughter, facebook, family dog, family portrait, first lady, london, malia, photograph, presidential election, private details, qualms, sasha, two daughters, white house