Obama authorises 25 mn dollars in aid to Libyan oppositionApril 27th, 2011 - 8:07 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 27 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Tuesday authorised up to $25 million in non-lethal aid to the opposition in Libya, the White House said.
In a memorandum to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defence Secretary Robert Gates, Obama directed that the aid be offered in the form of non-lethal commodities and services from the inventory and resources of any agency of the federal government to support “key US government partners” such as the Libyan opposition’s Interim Transitional National Council, Xinhua reports.
Under the memorandum, the aid will be used in efforts to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas under threat of attack in Libya.
US officials had said that the aid package would include vehicles, ambulances, medical equipment, body armour, radios and ready to eat meals.
Obama approved last week the use of armed Predator drones in the military mission in Libya.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution imposing a no-fly zone over Libya March 17, paving the way for a military operation against Gaddafi which began two days later. The US handed command to NATO in late March.
Despite dozens of sorties carried out by NATO aircraft against Gaddafi’s forces, the government troops maintain their combat capability and continue to pound poorly-equipped rebels with heavy artillery and rocket fire.
- Libyan rebels ask for weapons, says Italy - Apr 13, 2011
- Heavy explosions heard in Libyan capital - Apr 25, 2011
- NATO asks Libya's neighbours for assistance against Gaddafi - Apr 21, 2011
- Kuwait to give Libyan rebels 180 mn dollars - Apr 25, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - Apr 25, 2011
- US to release $1.5 bn in Libyan funds - Aug 26, 2011
- Italy assigns eight combat aircraft for Libya air strikes - Apr 28, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- Gaddafi needs to go: Obama - Mar 22, 2011
- UK Tornado jets launch precision bomb raids on Libya - Mar 26, 2011
- NATO chief makes unannounced visit to Libya - Nov 01, 2011
- NATO for financing rebel fighters in Libya - May 04, 2011
- Gaddafi's son wanted F-16s, says WikiLeaks - Apr 06, 2011
- US stopped 'Gaddafi's deadly advance': Obama (Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: barack obama, body armour, combat capability, defence secretary, fly zone, gaddafi, government partners, government troops, heavy artillery, hillary clinton, libyan opposition, military mission, military operation, nato aircraft, predator drones, ready to eat meals, robert gates, rocket fire, secretary robert, un security council