Nun’s suicide: Kerala government to hold thorough probeAugust 13th, 2008 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 13 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Wednesday assured the father of a nun who had committed suicide at her convent in Kollam that the government will ensure a complete and fool-proof probe. Anupa Mary, 24, committed suicide Monday evening by hanging herself in the St Mary’s Convent at Kollam.
Pappachan, the nun’s father, and his son met Achuthanandan along with state Education Minister M.A. Baby.
Later they met state Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan who assured them that if need be, a high level investigation team would be appointed to conduct the probe into the nun’s suicide.
“We will do the needful to give them solace through a proper inquiry. We are waiting for the post mortem report,” said Balakrishnan.
After meeting them, Pappachan said that he is not happy with the probe ordered by the Kollam bishop who runs the affairs of the convent where his daughter was a resident.
Pappachan, a cook who works at the bishop’s house at Kollam, alleged that his daughter Anupa Mary, a nun, committed suicide Monday after she was made to do all the chores in the convent and was sexually harassed by the head of the convent in the night.
She had come to the convent May 27 and was a member of the Vimala Hridya Franciscan congregation.
George Rebeirio, spokesperson of the Kollam Bishop House, said: “They (the Communist Party of India-Marxist) took over the issue and were seen in large numbers at the post mortem venue and at the time of funeral yesterday (Tuesday). Vested interests to tarnish us are behind the baseless allegations levelled by the father of the deceased.”
“He (Pappachan) has levelled allegations against a person who is a 72-year-old nun and has been with us for the past 45 years. Never ever has there been a complaint against her so far,” Rebeirio told reporters at Kollam Wednesday.
- Kerala nun's suicide: father cries foul play - Aug 12, 2008
- Unholy goings-on cloud Kerala's churches - Dec 23, 2008
- Kerala sister's book runs into controversy - Aug 12, 2012
- Kerala assembly ends session amid accusations of graft - Feb 24, 2011
- Kerala house adjourns over remarks against Achuthanandan - Oct 28, 2011
- Priyabhanshu's father was against their marriage: Nirupama's father - May 10, 2010
- Achuthanandan for CBI probe into Bihari youth's death - Sep 19, 2012
- Walk out in Kerala assembly over boat tragedies - Mar 05, 2012
- Achuthanandan's son faces suspension - Oct 26, 2011
- CPI-M attacks NSS for anti-Achuthanandan remarks - May 04, 2011
- CBI should protect informers in health scheme scam: BJP - Feb 16, 2012
- BBA student's death: Police get autopsy report - Sep 07, 2012
- Balakrishnan's son-in-law resigns from Youth Congress - Jan 05, 2011
- Capt Kohli's family plans to move high court for probe - Dec 03, 2010
- Income Tax returns: Moily defends former CJI Balakrishnan - Feb 15, 2011