Nun’s murder: Kerala court seeks CD of narco analysisJuly 14th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 14 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Monday asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to produce the CD of narco-analysis tests of two priests and a nun in connection with the mysterious death of Sister Abhaya in 1992. Justice V. Ramkumar asked the CBI to bring the CD on or before July 24.
Ramkumar gave the directions to the CBI after the investigating agency, in a sealed cover, handed over the progress-report of the case to the court.
Sister Abhaya, an inmate of Pious X Hostel near here, was found dead in the well of the convent March 27, 1992. The CBI concluded in November 1996 that the death was a homicide but the murderer remained untraced. The Kerala police had earlier dismissed the case as suicide.
Three former CBI teams have failed to crack the mystery behind Abhaya’s death.
A new team was appointed June last year after Joe Mon Puthenpurackal, a social activist who formed the Abhaya Action Committee in 1992, met the CBI director and demanded a fresh probe.
The 16-year-old case came back into the limelight in April last year after a newspaper reported that Abhaya’s medical reports had been tampered with at the Chemical Examiners Laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram. Two officials of the laboratory, suspected of having tampered with the report, are currently on bail.
The case has seen several ups and downs. Last week, the CBI suddenly transferred R.M. Krishna, the team leader who had done the narco-analysis test of the two priests and the nun in Bangalore last year.
The new official, R.S.Punia, who replaced Krishna, will reach Kerala in the next few days and, according to media reports, Punia had earlier headed the investigation in the same case.
- Kerala nun's death: Narco analysis CD given to court - Jul 23, 2008
- Kerala nun's death: CBI officer to appear before court - Aug 05, 2008
- Kerala nun's death: Court unhappy with narco analysis CD - Aug 04, 2008
- You are wrong, court tells CBI in nun's death - Aug 26, 2008
- Evidence not enough to nail accused in nun's murder: CBI - Aug 19, 2008
- CBI says CD linked to nun's death tampered - Sep 01, 2008
- Supreme Court judge's name crops up in Kerala nun's murder hearing - Aug 10, 2009
- Lawyers' association seeks inquiry against apex court judge - Aug 28, 2009
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- Probe role of apex court judge, appeals Sister Abhaya's father - Oct 23, 2009
- Police find nun's body in her convent's tank (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Court wants unedited video of narco tests in Kerala nun murder - Jun 25, 2009
- Court rejects CBI plea for narco test on Jagan aide - Feb 02, 2012
- CBI files chargesheet in murder of Kerala nun - Jul 17, 2009
- CBI to conduct narco test on witnesses in Abhaya case - Jun 24, 2009